Terms of Employment
Full Time, Permanent Employment
Language of Work
The client offers a range of employee benefits and a retirement savings plan, all of which
are governed by the applicable plan’s terms. Our core benefits coverage includes medical,
dental, paramedical, vision, basic life, dependent life, AD&D, critical illness, emergency medical
travel insurance, EFAP, STD, and LTD.
This position may be eligible for relocation benefits, if required.
Locations of Work:
This role will originally be based out of the Calgary corporate office, and transition to the
Heartland Petrochemical Complex in the Stathcona County area following the completion of the
administration offices at the site.
The Sr. Operations Specialist – PDH utilizes operational knowledge, expertise and skills to improve plant performance and operating discipline. The Sr. Operations Specialist works closely with the shift team and acts in coordination with the Shift Supervisor to provide leadership to shift operators in the execution of operational targets, goals and plans.
The Sr. Operations Specialist – PDH reports to the Operations Manager, PDH. This role has no direct reports.
Process Optimization and Operations:
- Utilize expertise and subject matter knowledge towards solving complex operational problems. Recognized as an operations expert in OLEFLEX technology and fractionation processes
- Monitor and optimize process conditions through data analysis (PI Historian, DCS, etc.) and application of experience to ensure plant production and quality is maximized in a safe and efficient manner
- Monitor key process parameters and performance indicators; advise Shift Supervisor to take necessary corrective actions to ensure production targets are not compromised
- Assist in the coordination of reliability and maintenance activities including preventive, predictive and corrective maintenance. Provide input and strategies to optimize selected maintenance work.
- Support equipment outage planning and coordination for effective execution from an operations perspective.
- Provide input to Shift Supervisor and Operators to ensure process safety, reliability, efficiency, cost control, product quality and environmental compliance is achieved
- Coordinate with Shift Supervisor and field operators to resolve deviations related to specific equipment
- Troubleshoots issues within the PDH process assets, as well as understands impacts from upstream and downstream operations relating to troubleshooting
- Support PDH product quality targets, work closely with laboratory and analytical staff, and interpret product quality results
- Assist in start-up and shutdown activities as required i.e. preparation and execution of procedures for equipment isolation, maintenance preparation, etc.
- Remain current on DCS training to assist in plant start-up, shutdown, or upset conditions
- Participate and/or act as Operations representative at production/product/maintenance scheduling meetings
- Ensure timely review and updates to operating procedures, including management of change for procedures
- Provide support to project teams to design, plan, construct and commission projects allowing for smooth transition and hand-off to from project to operations and maintenance
- Provide input to project(s) to ensure the safe, compliant and reliable design of all project assets
- Participate in project design reviews, milestone review sessions (HAZOP/LOPA sessions as well as vendor package reviews, bid clarification reviews, etc.
- Provide day-to-day operational input to EPC and project team as facility design evolves through project lifecycle process
- Assist Operations Manager in strengthening the Projects-to-Operations handover process in deficiency correction and project information
- Provide input to commissioning planning, facility systems and turnover sequences
- Assist in the development of handover/completions processes for acceptance of assets on a turnover system basis
- Assist in the development of commissioning procedures for turnover systems; participate and/or lead system commissioning activities
- Assist in the development of standard operating procedures and emergency procedures for facility operation
- Conceptualize and bring forward tactical/sustaining capital project ideas which improve and/or enhance safety, productivity, quality, efficiencies, etc.
- Provide operations coordination and input for expense and capital projects
EH&S and Risk Management:
- Participate and support initiatives to improve safety culture at all levels of operations
- Act as Operations representative for Management of Change (MOC) and Pre-Startup Safety Review (PSSR) sign-offs
- Ensure reporting of incidents and near miss, and participate and provide expertise in Incident Investigations and Root Cause Analysis (RCA) sessions
- Actively participate in safety meetings and assist shift team prior and during safety critical activities (i.e. Confined Space Entry, Equipment Isolation, etc.)
- Be familiar with and ensure compliance to all regulatory requirements
- Participate in annual compliance audits (health, safety, regulatory, housekeeping, and insurance, etc.)
- Active member of the Emergency Response Team on site
Training and Development:
- Support Operations Manager during interview and hiring process for new employees
- Maintain process and operational knowledge through mentoring, coaching and developing Operators and other personnel
- Assist in the development of training requirements and material for operators
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with, mentor, motivate, and develop the operations shift team members
- Lead and/or provide training to operators and plant personnel (control room training, equipment training, procedural training, critical task training, etc.)
- Maintain qualification as a control room operator as well as field positions
The Sr. Operations Specialist - PDH typically has 15 or more years of industry related petrochemical experience, previous experience Olefin production, continuous catalyst regeneration, fractionation processes (preferably OLEFLEX licensed technology), strong technical understanding of the PDH plant processes and equipment, maintenance practices, process safety, chemical safety, emergency response plan, work order process, and the incident reporting process, a proven track record in operations, and demonstrated leadership / teambuilding capabilities.
- A minimum 15 years of industry related petrochemical experience
- Previous experience Olefin production (preferably OLEFLEX licensed technology), and / or fractionation processes
- Strong technical understanding of plant processes, equipment, maintenance practices, process safety, and chemical safety associated with Propane Dehydrogenation
- Awareness of emergency response planning, work order systems, and incident reporting process
- A proven track record in operations, and demonstrated leadership / teambuilding capabilities
- Post-secondary education (university, college, technical institute, boiler or pressure plant related equipment training certificate, etc.).
- Strong analytical skills, strong communication and technical writing abilities, attention to detail and well developed interpersonal skills
- This position requires the ability to work rotating, 12-hour shifts.
All qualified candidates will be contacted.