Job DescriptionLocation: Port Arthur, TX Area
Duration: 2 year contract assignment
The Process Controls Engineer reports to the Lead Process Engineer, and is the primary technical contact for all matters related to the process control technology. The Process Controls Engineer provides Company Operations departments with expertise, participates in improvements to existing process control strategies within the operating plant, conducts data analytics and testing as required to solve problems, optimize plant performance and implements and manages Advanced Process Control (APC) within the operating plant. The Process Controls Engineer will be responsible for the monitoring of existing control system strategies and development of new ones as well as the implementation of the APC strategies in a world class production facility.
Strong Knowledge of the hazards of hydrocarbon processes, cryogenic services and the methods used to keep process facilities safe. Knowledge of advanced process control applications and production constraints. Strong fundamental knowledge of field instrumentation, control system architecture and design and its application in automated industrial facilities. In-depth knowledge of applicable codes, standards, and regulations and their implementation in operating facilities in the United States. Competent in the testing and troubleshooting of process automation applications.
Responsibilities and Essential Duties
- Work with Operators, Process Engineers and Instrument and Control Systems Engineers to improve the controllability of the plant.
- Support the implementation of Advanced Process Control into the operating plant.
- Performance monitoring, maintenance and management of APC systems following the implementation.
- Identify, define, justify and design new control system strategies and APC applications across the facility for improved throughput, profitability, stability, reliability and safety.
- Ensure consistency across different production units and shifts. Drive understanding and knowledge sharing amongst various teams.
- Provide process control systems expertise and guidance to Operating facilities to make improvement recommendations related to control systems strategies and performance towards optimizing production or safety within the plant.
- Develop and conduct control strategy testing and analytics in conjunction with process simulations of the Operating facilities to investigate steady state and upset conditions in support of diagnostics and troubleshooting.
- Provide design solutions and performance tests requirements towards optimizing production or solving process related incidents.
- Assure Operations requirements are considered on major projects, and support Operations Readiness activities.
- Coach, mentor and develop less experience staff within the process engineering practice.
Education and Certifications:
Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or related qualification
Minimum five (5) years’ experience designing, implementing and managing process control systems and/or APC applications in a gas processing facility, refinery or other complex production facility. Experience with refrigeration, process gas compressors or integrated heat transfer processes as well as basic knowledge of or Yokogawa Digital Centum VP Control System is a plus.
- Computer savvy including Project Management, database, Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint, and Industry systems like OSIsoft PI and HYSYS computer process simulation.
- Must maintain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card in good standing status.