Job DescriptionGlobal provider of products, systems and services to the oil and gas industry is seeking to appoint a Principal Engineer - Functional Safety to join its controls architecture department. The principal engineer will act as the functional safety technical authority and be responsible for ensuring that safety related products and safety functions achieve the required level of functional safety.
The role has the responsibility for defining and managing the functional safety management system and ensuring that the projects follow their functional safety management and verification plans. The role is also responsible for under taking functional safety audits, assessments and supplier conformance assessments. The functional safety principal shall have expert knowledge of the IEC 61511 and IEC 61508, be very well versed in functional safety management planning and in the techniques and measures required to control systematic defects for both hardware and software throughout all lifecycle phases.
The Principal Engineer provides specialised Functional Safety Engineering expertise for the company, in addition to:
- Advice to Systems Engineers on technical content of fixed price bids, budgetary bids and studies including clarification to technical tenders.
- Analysis and reviews of the Subsea Production System, refining the proposed design to provide an optimised system where appropriate.
- Support to application engineering as a Technical Expert within the Functional Safety discipline.
- Manage the scheduled activities for the discipline and ensure that the engineers within the group are supported
Key responsibilities will include;
- Be the Technical authority for functional safety
- Lead the development and improvement of the functional safety discipline. Delivering and managing a functional safety management system
- Mentoring of engineers within the controls architecture team and the wider organisation
- Scheduling of work to appropriate team members
- Management of the functional safety lifecycle and the production of key deliverables, such as FSMP, Verification and Validation Plans, Competence and Training Plans and Safety Requirements
- Delivery of hardware and software integrity assessments to confirm the safety integrity level achieved, including assessment of systematic integrity
- Undertaking Functional Safety Audits and Assessments along with performing supplier capability assessments
- Engineering duties on tendering, study and project work, including advising on system specification, documentation and report progress to the systems analysis manager
- Help sustain a culture for Functional Safety in cooperation with other departments.
Suitable candidates will need;
- Expert knowledge and experience of IEC 61508, IEC 61511 and industry specific standards such as NOG GL070, with experience of conducting functional safety audits and assessments of projects and products against their requirements
- Experience developing and implementing software and management systems for the safety critical software
- Experience defining functional safety management systems and functional safety management plans
- Significant experience in defining verification plans and managing their execution
- Experience in defining functional safety requirements and conducting risk assessment studies, including HAZID, HAZOP and LOPA
- Experience producing Safety Requirement Specifications and Software Requirement Specifications
- Experience in producing hardware risk assessments such as FMEDA, FMECA and must be able to interpret the results of the risk assessments to produce SIL verification calculations using FTA or RBD techniques
- Knowledge of requirements management tools and understanding of the importance of requirements traceability
- To be a member of a professional institution, a Chartered Engineer with either the IET or InstMC, a Registered Functional Safety Engineer (RFSE) with the InstMC, or a Functional Safety Certified Professional or Expert (TUV or EXIDA)
- Experience in design safety risk assessments (SIL targeting and calculations, HAZOPs, LOPA)
- To be a self-starter, in order to achieve tasks and overcome problems as well as provide direction for others, and to have the ability to work to tight time scales and under pressure; To be able to communicate functional safety requirements to others with significantly less knowledge or appreciation of the subject in a clear and precise manner.
The successful candidate will receive a competitive salary, the company also offers a strong work/life balance, positive work environment with challenging tasks.