Job DescriptionGeneral Purpose:
A Senior Process Engineer is responsible for the conceptual and detailed design of the processes and chemistry included in each company prospective and contracted project. The Senior Process Engineer will be involved in multiple projects simultaneously, with projects at different stages, at any given time. This position will be under direct supervision of the VP of Engineering. A Senior Process Engineer is expected to handle most job functions with little technical assistance, and is expected to work under the general supervision of the VP of Engineering. In addition, the Senior Process Engineer should be able to provide supervision of junior engineers as required by the VP of Engineering.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Utilizes the process simulation software to develop and optimize conceptual and detailed designs of the processes to be utilized in execution of company prospective and contracted work.
- Develops and maintains spreadsheet tools for detailed design of equipment and systems required for contracted work.
- Develops and reviews process specifications for equipment pertinent to execution of the job.
- Works with other engineering and design staff in the development of Process Flow Diagrams and Piping and Instrument Diagrams (P&ID's) for each project.
- Performs system studies to ensure cohesion of equipment and physical equipment orientation within systems for the design purpose.
- Familiar with appropriate company and industry codes and ensure conformance of specified systems and equipment.
- Works with the Project Detail group to solicit quotations for components from potential suppliers as predetermined by other engineering, design, project management and this position.
- Completes evaluations of returned quotations, makes selections based on that evaluation and returns completed evaluation forms to Project Management for review and final approval
- After final approval, provides final specifications including equipment specifications, selected vendors, pricing and any other pertinent data to the Project Detail group for execution of the purchase of the required equipment.
- Participates in operability and hazards assessments (PHA or HAZOP) for safe operation of facilities to be built.
- Develops conceptual control system design and communicates with appropriate Control Systems Specialists for optimized and safe control system design, installation, and functionality
- Develops and/or reviews Cause and Effect Diagrams for intention and functionality for safe and effective process operation.
- Trains client operations staff on the design and operational intent of the provided equipment
- Support plant operations personnel in commissioning and startup of completed process systems, and should be able to lead the commissioning and start up relative to the scope on the project.
- Provides technical support and troubleshooting of ongoing client process operations, as required
- Participates in project meetings at the request of the Project Manager
- Prepares for daily interaction with other Engineering, Design, Project Detail, Project Managers, and fabrication personnel as well as vendors
Context, Relations & Job Requirements
The Senior Process Engineer maintains relationships with the staff as well as other vendors adhering to guidelines. The Senior Process Engineer also maintains direct contact with other Engineering, Project Assistants, Project Management, and upper management, serving as the focal point of communication for different groups as it relates to the process design.
b) Job Requirements:
- Proficient in the use of various process simulation software packages including PROMAX, ChemCad, HYSYS, Aspen, and/or Provision
- Good knowledge of Word, Excel, and other software tools as required for the job.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail as well as technical writing and documentation skills
- Familiarity with company and industry codes and standards applicable to the gas processing industry
- Ability to cope with fast-paced, rapidly changing project requirements.
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to interact with vendors and provide assistance to various departments
- General understanding of projects, contracts terms, concepts, and terminology
- Must be highly motivated, customer focused, able to prioritize, detailed, capable of multitasking, able to follow through on all tasks to completion
- Some travel for equipment inspection and plant startup and commissioning will be required
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering from an ABET accredited university, or equivalent.
- 10+ years of related experience or equivalent experience in an engineering-related position.