Job DescriptionAssay Research Scientist (with Bioinformatics) – Permanent – Tyne and Wear
Molecular diagnostics is a broad and advanced field of study, requiring both traditional scientific knowledge and the digital skills to produce results. My client, a dynamic biotechnology company headquartered in the North East, is currently seeking the expertise of a assay development scientist with strong, active knowledge of bioinformatic analytical techniques to aid in the research and development of their award winning diagnostic kit.
Assay Research Scientist (with Bioinformatics) Key Responsibilities:
- Work within the Assay Team to deliver molecular diagnostic product pipeline
- Collate and annotate reference sequences across multiple microorganisms
- Lead the development and testing of new DNA amplification and detection technology
- Design, develop and test new PCR based diagnostic assays and help see them through to commercialisation
- Create and implement new custom tools to store and interpret sequence data
- Interrogate sequence data and design new diagnostic assays.
- Work towards the goals of collaborative projects with external partners and be point of contact for some.
- Generate, record and present complex data, to line manager, colleagues, senior management and external partners.
- Attend lab, team and project meetings and present and report findings
- Write scientific plans and reports, SOPs, Risk assessments.
- Keep up to date with the literature on point of care diagnostics, assay design, infectious disease diagnostics and other relevant areas.
- Work within the quality systems following GDP and working to ISO 13485 standard.
- PhD in a relevant subject (i.e. bioinformatics, genomics) or previous work experience in a relevant technical, scientific role
- Experience in bioinformatic analysis of sequencing data (Sanger and NGS), with a strong preference for microbial genomics experience
- Experience in data manipulation and analysis of large genomic datasets
- Knowledge and competence in R and other programming languages
- Experience of sequence database development and management
- Experience in nucleic acid amplification-based assay design and development
- Knowledge of nucleic acid amplification and detection chemistries
- Knowledge of statistics
- Ability to work to the Company’s Quality Systems and Policies in line with ISO13485 standards