NES Global Talent is a leading global technical recruitment company providing professional contract and permanent staff to a diverse world-wide client base within the oil & gas Industry. Our client, is a major player in the Oil & Gas Offshore industry, has a permanent opportunity for a Mechanical Designer to be based in Houston, TX.
The designer will carry out a variety of moderately complex to complex design and drafting assignments, investigates and obtains all data required to develop a design and works with Engineering to construct 3D models in SolidWorks. The Designer will also participate in the development of original designs or adaptations requiring specialized experience.
- Prepares moderately complex preliminary sketches and/or schematic diagrams from layouts, mark-up prints and other reference materials; Confers with engineers and other subject matter experts to interpret design concepts, determine nature and to determine the type of required detailed working drawings.
- Prepares detail drawings and determines the most appropriate views, detail drawings and supplementary information needed to complete assignments; Draws various views including complex plan and elevations, sections and details of part / structures with complete dimensional data for engineering, manufacturing, fabrication or assembly purposes.
- Reviews own work and typically reviews work of less experienced drafting team members to ensure comprehensive dimensional data for engineering or fabrication purposes; Reviews for accuracy, completeness, and conformance to drafting, applicable design, component weights and system standards.
- Prepares and processes Engineering Change Notices according to procedures; Modifies existing drawings and modifies required system documentation.
- Creates final sales or sequence drawings as directed.
- Calculates dimensional tolerance requirements to ensure proper assembly fit according to design requirements defined by Engineers; Prepares CAD assembly drawings to verify adequate assembly fit and function.
- Works with Engineering to construct 3D parts and assemblies in SolidWorks.
- Performs administrative and related responsibilities as assigned such as transferring drawings from computer to hardcopy.
- Assists with special projects as assigned by Supervisor and prepares time estimates for review before assigned work is initiated; Compiles and analyzes data, compute quantities, determine materials needed, and prepares cost estimates.
- High school (or equivalent GED) or graduate of technical trade school (Associates Degree) or equivalent experience in mechanical drafting preferred.
- Minimum of five years progressive experience in a CAD drafting environment and at least two years internal or similar product or industry experience.
- Experience working with configuration management software is a plus
- Experience in constructing the following:
- mechanical drawings for large plate weldments or machinery, requiring second operation machining
- mechanical drawings for the machining of large forgings and casting
- drawings of hydraulic schematics for various hydraulic systems is a plus
- assembly, fabrication and machining drawings, to include geometric tolerancing
- layout using AutoCAD or SolidWorks with minimal engineering instruction