LOCATION: Cameron, LA
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
NES Global Talent is a leading global technical recruitment company providing professional contract and permanent staff to a diverse world-wide client base within the oil & gas Industry. Our client, a leading LNG Operator, has a permanent opportunity for a Staff Engineer, Process Safety Management for a direct hire position based in Cameron, Louisiana (LA).
The Staff Engineer, Process Safety Management (PSM) reports directly to the Process Services Manager and will support all Facility Operation and Maintenance departments for PSM related activities. The Staff Engineer, PSM has ownership and responsibility for relevant PSM activities including, but not limited to: overall PSM implementation, inclusive of employee participation in PSM related activities, process hazard analysis (PHA), pre-startup safety reviews (PSSR), process safety information, and risk management as it relates to process safety elements. This role includes both coordination and direct service delivery function. The Staff Engineer, PSM is required to facilitate, coordinate, supervise and/or perform PSM activities.
The Staff Engineer, PSM also liaises with the Corporate Health and Safety designate for alignment to enterprise-wide PSM requirements. Under the general supervision of the Process Services Manager, provides governance and assurance for an effective implementation of the PSM program at Although the Facility is not governed by OSHA PSM, the site has adopted a “fit for purpose” PSM program aligned with OSHA PSM. The Staff Engineer, PSM will be the custodian of this PSM program and shall maintain the site’s procedures, guidelines, and tools, associated with PSM, with a focus on continuous improvement. The Staff Engineer, PSM helps ensure the PSM programs receive appropriate attention, priority, management support and resources needed to function effectively.
The Staff Engineer, PSM manages two direct reports to meet the compliance requirements of the PSM, PHA, and PSSR standards. The Staff Engineer, PSM also liaises with the Corporate Health and Safety designate and other departments at site as required ensuring compliance with PSM requirements. All activities will be delivered maintaining Company’s core values: teamwork, respect, accountability, integrity, nimble and safety.
Possesses a thorough understanding of OSHA PSM, Responsible Care, and EPA – RMP regulations. As well as a basic understanding of Natural Gas Liquefaction, LNG transportation, operations, storage, and loading. Has understanding of organizational structure and has ability to recognize site programs/projects that require PSM activities, including, but not limited to, new projects, business process, procedures, administrative or business systems. In addition, familiarity with the various applicable federal, state, and local agencies and applicable laws, regulations, codes, standards, and permits required to operate LNG terminals, including but not limited to: DOT, OSHA, USCG, EPA, FERC, NFPA, and knowledge of emergency response operations, planning, techniques, and reporting.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Champion the adoption, implementation, and assurance of the PSM elements across the various site departments to ensure company best practices and procedures are understood, implemented and followed.
- Manage and facilitate Process Hazard Analysis and other risk assessment processes.
- Manage the site’s process units initial and revalidation HAZOP program.
- Ensure pre-startup safety reviews (PSSR) are performed when required and meet the requirements of the PSSR standard, in planning, execution, and
- Provide technical leadership and support to identify hazards, evaluate the risk of those hazards, and assist in the development of effective solutions to mitigate risk
- Perform periodic PSM evaluations using the Corporate PSM Standard Checklist
- Supports the Incident Management Process and Incident Investigations associated with identified Process Safety Events.
- Assigns and tracks process safety action items and drives closure as required.
- Coordinates and manages Governance and Assurance requirements per the Company Process Safety Management Standard and relevant procedures.
- Support incident investigation teams in understanding and identifying process safety hazards and appropriate risk mitigation actions.
- Develop, monitor, and analyze trends in site Process Safety Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Support the development of safe operating practices in support of plant operations.
- Identify opportunities to update site emergency response plans as required to ensure process safety events are adequately managed.
- Support the MOC Process to determine whether PSSRs and PHAs are required.
- Train and provide assistance with project safety reviews.
- Train and mentor others in process safety to understand, identify and reduce process safety risk. Able to inform, train and track training for site staff on process safety.
- Convenes regular performance review meetings to review status, progress and barriers for timely delivery of PSM requirements, inclusive of key performance indicator reviews. Develops and issues process safety reports.
- Support the delivery of the Site Self-Assessment Plan requirements as it relates to PSM activities.
- Support the site in identifying and sustaining the management of key process safety information in compliance with the process Safety Technical Studies Manual
- Ability to select and manage external process safety resources when required.
- Supports the Risk Management Process for PSM related risks and manages the site risk register.
- Support the development of PSM software tools
- Participate in “completion” walk-downs and Pre-Start Safety Reviews if/as required.
- Carries out other duties as assigned by the Process Services Manager as defined within the PSM Standard and associated process safety procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS)
- Education and Certifications: Bachelor degree in Engineering required; Chemical/Mechanical Engineering preferred; A Professional Engineer’s (PE) License is a plus.
- Experience: Minimum of ten (10+) years related experience in the Oil, Gas or Chemical Industry, or equivalent military experience. Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in application of PSM in oil and gas industry with thorough knowledge and understanding of all OSHA PSM elements, Process Operations, and Process Safety Risk Management. Proven capability in preparation and presentation of information to a varying audience as well as develop concise factual PSM performance reports.
- Strong leadership and administrative abilities are required.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to articulate messages to a variety of audiences.
- Organized and able to manage multiple activities and programs timely and with a high degree of accuracy.
- Effective problem solving and analytical skills.
- Computer knowledge, including Microsoft Office Suite consisting of Word, Excel, Access and
- A thorough understanding of process safety and its application to facility assets, programs, and procedures.
- Experience and knowledge of process safety principles, methodologies and
- Able to understand and assess risks based on operating process plant changes and lead a team through a robust risk assessment of physical changes to an operating process plant (based on P&ID’s, ISO’s, Electrical Drawings, Cause and effects, Safe Operating Limits, Technical Drawings, Facility Siting, MSDSs, Fire Hazard Analysis )
- Excellent listening skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships.
- Ability to influence others and move toward a common vision or goal.
- Flexible and adaptable; able to work in ambiguous situations.
- Forward-looking with a holistic approach
- Adept in report writing for PSM and skilled in leading a diverse technical and operations team through complex process operations conversations.
- Able to organize and provide robust reports on PSM deliverable status.
- Knowledgeable in the requirements of OSHA 1910.119.
- Organized with a natural inclination for planning strategy and tactics.
- Problem-solving and root cause identification skills.
- Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization and with multiple departments.
- Must be a team player and able to work collaboratively with others.
- Acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges.
- Familiarity with project management approaches, tools, and phases of the project lifecycle.
- Experience with large-scale organizational change efforts.