Job DescriptionNES UK Ltd are recruiting for a Mechanical Designer to be based within their clients technology excellence centre located near Stonehouse, Gloucester.
An experienced designer with exposure to and knowledge of rotary steerable systems, downhole mud motors or power source products would be ideal.
- Completes procedures and generates drawings and/or designs that are semi-routine in nature.
- Analyzes data and insures that the product, process and/or designs conforms to the specifications or performance guidelines and learns and uses Company engineering drafting standards.
- Conducts fairly complex troubleshooting, diagnosing and repairing drawing or design defects.
- Retrieves and archives information using Company engineering records system (i.e. drawings, specifications, standards).
- Structure and produces Bills of Materials (BOM) and creates Engineering Change Notices (ECN), manages files and facilitates the release of the product to manufacturing.
- Helps test designs, records and file test results and makes drawing changes as indicated by test results.
- Interfaces with vendors to obtain project supplies in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Records and files test results and makes drawing changes as indicated by test results.
- Prepares reports on test results, instructions for installation of kits, and drafts of operating instructions.
- Observes safety regulations and wears all required safety equipment. (Continuous requirement)
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- HND in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Recognised time served apprenticeship in mechanical engineering and/or experience in a similar designer role.
- Working knowledge of ProE and AutoCAD or similar 2D & 3D packages.
- Proven experience of engineering / manufacturing processes.
- In depth knowledge of ISO drafting standards, experience in ASME is appreciated.
- Ability to perform basic calculations related to design assessment (tolerance stack etc)
Thorough Knowledge of
- Recording and filing test reports, creating BOM’s, ECN’s, Requests for Engineering Action (REA), maintenance of the existing product line and mechanical drafting standards
- Entering and extracting data from the Company databases
- Company policies and procedures, health, safety, and environment policies.
Good Knowledge of
- Mechanical CAD principles, quality control practices (use of tolerance, inspection), engineering product file structure, setting up of a project (BDR), writing test and inspection reports.
- Department and plant orientation
Basic Knowledge of
- Basic design calculations (burst, collapse & tensile etc.), types and uses of threads and pressure seals, material selection and properties, hydraulic principles, and manufacturing processes.
- Ability to read, understands, and generates technical instructions, material lists, mechanical drawings, and/or hydraulic diagrams.
- Above-average ability to work with speed and accuracy, use mechanical reasoning, and work well with others; above-average oral communication and organizational skills.
- Average ability to think and reason, solve problems, and read with speed and comprehension, work in spreadsheet/database programs and specialized Company programs; average written communication skills.
- Ability to read and interpret basic instructions for the assembly of materials, technical specifications, testing equipment, part numbers, and write capping and crushing targets.
- Ability to apply basic arithmetic operations and compute rates, ratios, and percentages.