Job DescriptionProject Engineer, Project Development & Engineering
The Project Engineer reports to the Manager of Project Development and Engineering and will be responsible for coordination of activities within a multi-discipline cross functional development team to mature proposed projects from Concept to Final Investment Decision (FID).
Projects will be predominantly based on LNG technology but could also range to cover non-US onshore
Regasification and floating facilities project development.
This position has responsibility for working with other Project Development & Engineering team members, Regulatory, Third Parties, Internal and External Stakeholders in order to coordinate the input of all requirements and properly define the Risks and Opportunities ensuring it is correctly scoped and estimated. The Project Development Process will typically involve compilation of Basis of Designs, FEED documentation, FERC Documentation, Business Cases, Project Execution Plans, Environmental and Regulatory Compliance Plans, Health, Safety and Security Plans, Capital Committee Memorandum, Budget Estimates and all other relevant documentation as necessary to ensure the project can move forward into the Execution Stage.
The Project Development and Engineering Team will be located in Houston. The Project Engineer will be required to work in selected EPC contractor’s home offices as necessary during project development. The Project Engineer will also be required to travel to sites and work with contractors to support site investigation and development work.
Understanding of all facets of the engineering, procurement, construction, and operation of world class LNG liquefaction plants, including health, safety, quality, and logistics. In-depth knowledge of design, operation and maintenance of equipment and systems within an LNG or Regas terminal.
Knowledge of Project Development and Business Planning processes including stage gates, cost estimating, scheduling and risk analysis. A working knowledge of regulatory rules and regulations with respect to site development is required to support Regulatory and Permitting efforts during FEED and conceptual studies in the early development of projects. Knowledgable and proficient in typical standard industry codes such as NFPA, 49 CFR 193, 40 CFR 6018 as well as regulatory guidance from FERC, PHMSA, DOT, OSHA, and USCG is highly desirable. Should possess effective communication skills to present work precisely and effectively. Familiarity with the latest engineering tools and techniques to carry out complex projects with ease and efficiency within a specified timeframe.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Provide input into development of necessary standards, processes and procedures and ensure that these are applied to all new development projects.
- Ensure all established corporate standards and Project HSSE requirements are adhered to and implemented on all new development projects.
- Develop scopes of work, budgets, schedules and cost estimates for activities to be performed during the development stages.
- Act as Company representative for the execution of specified work scopes.
- Work with Supply Chain Management to define technical requirements and engineering deliverables in contracts. Solicit and evaluate bids for project scope of work and labor.
- Assist in development and provide technical input into Capital Committee Memorandums, Business Cases, and Project Execution Plans.
- Provide input into Facility / Asset Master Planning and develop an in-depth understanding of any assigned facilities current and forecast infrastructure capability and the options available to make best use of the Terminals spare capacity in order to develop appropriate fit for purpose lowest cost future LNG expansion projects.
- Assess technical risks and technical challenges and provide appropriate mitigation plans.
- Participate in project risk, process, constructability, cold eyes, HAZID / HAZOP and other safety reviews as required.
- Provide input to progress meetings and reports.
- Ensure assigned projects meet agreed deadlines, budgets and objectives.
- Ensure development projects compliance with applicable laws, regulations and industry standards
- Ensure consistency of approach in development of projects.
- Keep Project Development Manager informed of any technical, schedule or cost impacts.
- Work with other Project Development and Engineering team members and selected contractors to develop low cost and innovative LNG production and Regas solutions.
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS)
- Education and Certifications: A bachelor’s degree in Engineering is required and Professional Engineering License in good standing with at least one state is preferred.
- Minimum Ten (10) years overall project delivery experience, Five (5) years of LNG experience as a Project Engineer. Recent experience with LNG is preferred, however, petrochemical, NGL, cryogenic natural gas processing, or other hydrocarbon processing experience may be acceptable.
- Experience with major producer corporations preferred.
- Must be articulate and have effective management and organizational skills.
- A high level of safety awareness and knowledge of applicable LNG design regulations is required.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong leadership and administrative abilities are required.
- Able to work with a culturally diverse group of technical individuals whose skills cover the range required to engineer, operate and maintain the LNG terminal and Liquefaction production facilities.
- Able to manage multiple activities and programs in timely fashion and with a high degree of accuracy, able to meet work deadlines.
- Computer savvy including Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Access, Project and PowerPoint.
- Must maintain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card in good standing status.
To be determined.
FREEDOM TO ACT
The Project Engineer is an expert in their field and requires minimal supervision.
- Job is performed in a typical office environment, with frequent visits to the site.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to stand, walk, sit, climb stairs, work at height above ground on stairs and catwalks, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk, hear, smell, type and write.
- Must be able to board a ship via a gangway, climb to the top of a tank (200+ steps), scale vertical steel ladder up to forty feet or more in height, and lift and move objects weighting up to 30 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work indoors and outdoors, and exposed to year around weather conditions, ocean environment, noise, and occasionally process gases and vapors.
- Subject drug and alcohol testing, per applicable federal regulations.