The Project Engineer - Electrical & Controls provides technical support and carries out the electrical and controls design on multi-disciplinary projects. The projects include electrical and controls fit-out of occupied buildings and process equipment skids.
The Project Engineer - Electrical & Controls formally reports to the Engineering Manager. Day-to-day and project-specific duties will be assigned by the Project Manager.
- Establish the electrical and controls project scope requirements from client drawings and specifications;
- Follow North American electrical design codes, standards, regulations and industry guides/procedures;
- Calculate equipment electrical loads, cable and distribution board sizing, building interior and exterior illumination levels, lightning protection, grounding grid sizing;
- Specify controls I/O and control logic to/from packaged equipment, including MCC’s;
- Size and layout electrical equipment considering access, maintenance and installation;
- Execute engineering activities through the full project lifecycle (i.e., initial concept, front-end engineering, technical study & detailed design, field engineering support);
- Oversee the work of electrical design technologists, including one-line diagrams, wiring schematics, electrical equipment and cable tray layout drawings, grounding grid drawings, ladder diagrams, panel wiring diagrams, instrument wiring diagrams, fire alarm riser diagrams, panel and equipment schedules, component/materials quantity take-offs;
- Provide technical support to project managers and clients;
- Source electrical equipment and contractors, prepare technical specifications for supply and install, provide recommendations for packaged equipment and components, in accordance with company policies;
- Review equipment tenders and vendor documents for project specification compliance;
- Coordinate design work with other disciplines and other project team members;
- Conduct site visits to check and validate design installations, provide safe execution plans for installation of electrical components, troubleshoot systems during commissioning;
- Uphold the company code of ethics;
- Carry out peer reviews of associates and sub-consultant’s work;
- Manage outsourced consulting electrical engineering contracts for the project (e.g., jurisdictional P.E. review);
- Stay alert for project scope change potential, liaising with the Project Manager to handle these situations when they arise.
- Facilitate a prompt and accurate response to the project site team requests for engineering design support during construction.
Education and Experience Requirements:
§ Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering;
§ 8 years’ experience in an engineering consulting or design-build organization, including experience working under the NEC, IBC, IFC, NFPA, API Standards, and North American EPC industrial project electrical specifications.
§ Electrical specification and design of low and medium voltage power distribution systems, Motor Control Centers, branch wiring, lighting and small power systems, grounding, fire detection and suppression systems, and packaged equipment power and controls (e.g., HVAC systems, pump skids).
§ Eligible for Professional member registration with the local state/provincial Engineering association;
§ Proven technical report and presentation skills – intermediate knowledge of MS Office products – knowledge of SharePoint desirable but not essential;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively in a project team environment where team members are spread across multiple office locations;
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain effective and respectful working relationships with internal and external contacts;
§ Demonstrated contract administration and project management skills of a project’s technical design content;