Job DescriptionNES Global Talent is a leading global technical recruitment company providing professional contract and permanent staff to a diverse world-wide client base within the oil & gas Industry. Our client, a leading global manufacturer of petrochemicals, has a permanent opportunity for a Construction Manager for a direct hire position to be based in the Gulf Coast.
Reporting to the Director of Projects, the Construction Manager is responsible for assuring that the construction of new installations is consistent with the Safety and technical requirements of the business. The role will work in conjunction with the Project Managers leading project teams to manage and control assigned projects, including overseeing field operations, site safety, productivity, schedule, quality of work, and trade contractor and supplier coordination. This person will be responsible for leading all construction activities for this $2BN grassroots project.
- Demonstrate and communicate company safety culture and values
- Ensure non-resident contractors have an approved safety program before beginning work in the field. Ensure the non-resident contractors are approved by the SHE group.
- Facilitate approval of gate passes (contractor vehicles) and new materials (MSDS approvals) to be brought on site.
- Responsible for reviewing and addressing contractor safety programs and performance.
- Ensure safety audits are periodically done and action items closed.
- Communicate project related incidents per established protocol.
- Ensure incidents are logged into TRACTION. Initiate safety stand downs as needed.
- Ensures contractor issues incident reports.
- Participate in contractor safety meetings
- Monitor contractor to ensure compliance with the quality plan.
- Ensure interaction between contractor and QA/QC takes place.
- Monitor contractor to ensure compliance with design standards.
- Ensure contractors have correct scope for work that will be performed.
- Monitor contractor log. Communicate reoccurring oversights and/or slow resolution progress to the Project Manager.
- Ensure contractor responds to quality issues and action items.
- Identify potential constructability concerns (i.e. installation, sequencing of work) to project manager in FEL and provide recommendations for mitigation for planning
- Review IFA drawings and provide comments back to Project Manager if construction contractor is not on board
- Facilitate constructability meetings with contractor as applicable.
- Ensure that contractor has a PO authorizing work to begin by the project manager.
- Facilitate and lead construction kick-off meetings
- Coordinate construction facility issues such as, office space, trailers, water, power, communications, etc.
- Facilitate construction meetings (daily, weekly, monthly).
- Reviews project RFI’s to ensure classification, cost, and schedule impacts are addressed. Track response time and closure of RFIs to minimize impact of RFIs to the construction schedule and costs.
- Provide recommendation on path forward on field change order approvals to the project manager.
- Single point of contact for project managers on status of their respective projects.
- Serve as the primary Owner/capital project interface during construction with all field Contractors, Subcontractors, Operations, and maintenance
- Review Project and procurement schedules to insure that deliveries support the construction schedule.
- Address contractor performance issues
- Works with construction contractor on productivity concerns and resource levelling while still delivering projects to the desired schedules.
- Identify and coordinate plant resources that are required to support construction (I/E technicians, millwrights, etc.)
- Facilitate the Care Custody Transfer (CCT) process by ensuring turnover systems are identified, CCT packages are developed, walk-throughs are organized, punch lists resolved and represents the project in signing off on CCT packages before turning over to operations
- Ensures that all field construction documentation is complete, accurate, and meets Plant requirement
- Ensure as-built drawings are prepared by contractor and returned to engineering
- Assist the Project Manager/Project Engineer in developing the project lessons learned.
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering, advanced degree a plus
- Owner/Oil Company experience
- A minimum 20 years’ experience in delivering grassroots large capital projects within the chemical industry
- Experience in successfully delivering major capital projects and negotiating the associated contracts
- Some experience in business management a plus