Our client, is currently seeking a Cost Engineer Lead in Fort Saskatchewan, AB .
- Direct interface with mainly internal stakeholders, such as Project Engineers, Project Managers, Project Development Engineers, Construction Field Leads, Site Contractors, Site Business Opportunity Manager (BOM), C&P, Finance, and EPC contractors.
- The ability to work in a flexible, diverse team environment, which is a collection of various technical disciplines, stakeholders and contractors at all levels of the organization, is essential.
- Must have a team spirit attitude, strong inter-personal and communication skills, be self-motivated and be willing to support other groups and projects when required.
- Support the delivery of consistent and appropriate cost management structures/tools/processes for the Asset Productivity project.
- Assist with the development of project controls plans for the Asset Productivity project in compliance with Downstream Recommended Practices and in alignment with Planning, Finance and Contracting & Procurement (C&P) processes.
- Assist the development and implementation of CBS (Cost Breakdown Structure) for the Asset Productivity project in alignment with IPA cost definitions, the estimate breakdown, and Primavera WBS (as applicable). Set up SAP Blueprint (Upgrader) and GSAP (Refinery/Chemicals) with project CBS and budget information accordingly.
- Support implementation of Cost Control Processes: Embed and maintain in the company and Contractor processes; Commitment capture, VOWD (Value of Work Done), Cost forecasting/phasing and Earned Value consistent with procedures. Establish Cost Report content and frequency, prepare and conduct budget holder reviews, and publish. Support C&P group by providing detailed cost and performance analysis.
- Monitor the work hour consumption and associated cost of the Contractor activities against the contractual targets such that potential deviations are identified and the appropriate corrective actions are taken. Conduct field walks or reviews as needed to validate physical progress and productivity.
- Interface with contractors to ensure consistency in cost reporting and challenge & review contractor’s VOWD, commitments, earned value, forecasts and deviations.
- Deliver accurate and high-quality monthly Latest Estimate Forecast for the Asset Productivity project.
- Assist in the maintenance of Change/Trend and Contingency Management: ensure that appropriate changes/trends are reflected in the regular cost forecast updates. Prepare forecasts and review with budget holders. Establish linkage between Change/Trend Management and Contingency Management, perform the Contingency drawdown and ensure accurate current status is reflected in reports.
- Assist Cost Reporting: generation of accurate monthly cost reports, including variances from the plan on commitment, value of work done, management of changes and currency fluctuations against approved Authorities For Expenditure (AFEs).
- Participate and comply with all safety programs.
- Engineering/Technologist Degree and/or Certification as a Cost Engineer or equivalent experience.
- 4 years refinery or petrochemical industry experience in cost engineering / cost controls.
- Experience in Cost Engineering / Cost Controls positions.
- Works effectively in a Team environment and build consensus.
- Working knowledge of a broad range of Project Controls systems, tools, and practices specifically in Oil & Gas industry.
- Strong leadership, communication, report-writing, and presentation skills.
- Strong customer focus.
- Skilled in using Excel, SAP/ GSAP, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook.
- Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills.