Job DescriptionNES Global Talent is currently recruiting for a Group Science & Technical Manager to work internationally in a permanent staff position.
- This is a global role providing a technical lead on the provision of marine fuel quality advice to customers through the laboratory testing of marine fuels based on interpretation of results;
- IMO2020 S Cap is a key gamechanger driving the need for this role to enable our client to maintain leadership position in marine fuel and advisory services;
- The internal focus of this role will be via the Group Managing Director, working closely with Lab Managers and Technical Advisory Managers;
- The external focus of this role will be via the Group Commercial Director, working closely with Sales Managers.
- Lead the Technical teams globally on advising customers of marine fuel and oil quality;
- Work closely with Technical and Lab Managers to investigate significant customer fuel quality problems and develop new testing methods;
- Analysing fuel & lubricants quality data for trend analysis, new fuels/lubes, etc for inclusion into reports, papers and presentations, working closely with Group Commercial Director;
- Advising on fuel characteristics with regard to the 2020's changes;
- Writing technical papers regarding all aspects of marine fuel/lubricants quality;
- Presenting at global conferences on topics relating to marine fuels/lubricants quality;
- Representing our client on industry bodies such as Intertanko, IBIA, CIMAC, ISO and reporting the activities to relevant teams;
- Support Group MD with prioritisation of Lab CAPEX by advising on the viability of new chemical analysis techniques, methods and instrumentation and horizon scanning future testing technologies;
- Provide a greater depth of chemistry knowledge to support Sales Managers.
- Reports to the Group Managing Director;
- No direct reports but functional lead for Technical teams and Lab Managers (Rotterdam, Singapore, Houston, Fujairah);
- Extensive global travel >70% of time, covering laboratory locations in Rotterdam, Singapore, Houston and Fujairah as well as customer locations across Europe, Americas, Asia, Middle East and Africa.
- Essential - Minimum Degree level qualifications, with Masters level preferred;
- Essential - A deep understanding and knowledge of marine fuel, lubricants chemistry and testing, with minimum 5 years marine fuel testing experience, along with good marine engineering knowledge;
- Desirable – Knowledge and experience of technologies employed in testing marine fuels and oils.
- Provide a deeper and more rounded technical service and support to the clients;
- Have a stronger voice within industry bodies and therefore greater influence;
- Chemistry issues are handled with expertise and knowledge for TA, Commercial and Clients alike;
- Industry conferences see a recognised Technical Expert presenting technical papers;
- Shipping Media receive papers from the leading marine fuel testing company’s, leading technical expert;
- Chemistry takes its place alongside marine engineering in importance and consideration from our client;
- All the above increase our client's credibility in delivering sound technical advisory support.
If you are available or interested in a career switch, please don't hesitate to apply directly or contact Sander Schuitman at +31 (0) 70 808 0147 for more information.