Location: Windhoek, Namibia
Duration: 12 Months with extension
Requirements: Candidates must be based in Namibia or be Namibian Nationals
The Namibia Public and Government Affairs (P&GA) Manager position is responsible for the development and effective implementation of integrated external engagement strategies for activities in Namibia.
The P&GA Manager will be responsible for maintaining an in-depth awareness of external political and economic factors that may impact client business activities in Namibia, and creating effective strategies to support the company’s business objectives.
This position will be located in Windhoek, Namibia, and is functionally accountable to the Upstream Business Development P&GA Manager.
- Establish public and government affairs (P&GA) strategies, plans and budgets at the country level, including community engagement, government relations, media, communications, issues management and emergency response support, consistent with P&GA functional guidance.
- Provide strategic P&GA advice and identify and advance external opportunities in Namibia for the Client Lead Country Manager, visiting Client executives and other business clients.
- Build relationships with external stakeholders in Namibia, including community members, government representatives and non-profit organizations.
- Establish the Client brand in Namibia and support the company’s reputation for operational excellence in Namibia.
- Identify and manage key issues that impact Client business in Namibia.
- Manage P&GA operating and contributions budgets. Ensure proposed contributions spend is aligned with business needs and adheres to Client corporate guidelines.
- Ensure integration/alignment of individual country P&GA plans/activities with overall corporate strategic goals.
- Develop and strengthen business clients’ external communication skills and capabilities, media engagement, presentation capabilities, etc.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Public Affairs, government relations, political science, public policy, media relations, communications or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience, including:
- advising on African issues and prior experience working in Africa;
- development and stewardship of social responsibility programs in support of business objectives in Africa;
- legislative and regulatory assessments and advocacy;
- interaction with senior business executives, government officials and community leaders;
- media relations and communications.
- Demonstrated ability to work under time pressure, prioritize work demands from multiple business clients and to meet deadlines within an organization driven by high standards and strong processes.
- Ability to ensure that cross-functional issues impacting other businesses are adequately and timely considered, communicated and managed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong internal and external relationships.
- Adherence to the Standards of Business Conduct of Client Corporation.
- Sound business judgment and proactive communications to management.
- Ability to manage budgets and rigorous controls with solid stewardship capability.
- Able to communicate fluently in English and additional widely used languages in Namibia (both written and verbal). German an advantage.
- Understanding of economic / political / social issues in Africa.
- Flexibility and drive with an energetic and dynamic approach to problem solving.
- Capable of working with remote management across different cultures.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Attention to detail.