Senior Claims Specialist
The successful candidate will be an integral part of the Capital Projects Procurement Team, working with team members to facilitate the dispute resolution process by generally providing the following services:
- Review and evaluation of project documentation including contracts, specifications, drawings, schedules, and various other project documentation including meeting minutes, daily site reports, change orders, requests for information, contemplated changes, etc.;
- Discerning analysis of technical, schedule and cost issues;
- Identification of root cause and responsibility, assessments of schedule and cost impacts caused by disruptions, delays, changed conditions and other circumstances common to construction projects;
- Preparation of reports and claim documentation to summarize and support findings; and
- Working with in-house and external legal counsel in the dispute resolution process.
- A degree in Engineering, Law, or Business.
- Professional designations in Engineering or Law in good standing.
- Post graduate degree in business, project, engineering or construction management.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) certification.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation.
Must have qualifications:
- Minimum of 15 years of claim avoidance and defense experience with complex construction projects.
- Minimum of 10 years on major Oil & Gas facilities and pipelines construction projects experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge, proficient understanding and experience in Canadian Contract law and dispute resolution processes.
- Proven ability to develop and lead the claim avoidance and defense management strategies, protecting the Owner’s commercial interests.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct thorough analysis and investigations necessary to determine claims exposure and propose appropriate settlement strategies and action plans.
- Experience in handling claims consistent with Owner’s corporate policies, procedures and industry “best practices” and also in accordance with any statutory, regulatory and ethical requirements.
- Experience in supporting the Supply Chain Management and the Project Team with contract termination, claims, and settlements.
- Solid background in sound Post Award Contracts Change Management and analysis of change order requests and capital projects documentation.
- Solid understanding of the claims process and the construction business.
- Experience in conducting contract compliance audits.
- Ability to analyze contractual entitlement and determining settlement strategies.
- Proficient use and analysis of computer models, software and applications in support of claims and dispute defense.
- Strong understanding and ability to analyze construction project schedules with respect to delay claims analysis.
- Experience with “e-discovery” process.
Nice to have qualifications :
- Experience on US based projects and construction contracts, and understanding of US contracting law, arbitration, mediation or litigation processes.
- Experience in cost estimation.
- Ability to work in a high-paced, multi-task environment with attention to detail.
- High level of quantitative and qualitative research and analytical skills.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
- Proficient ability to rapidly develop and implement plans and processes on ongoing projects and demonstrated ability to secure stakeholders buy-in (project and construction management, as well as legal and procurement functions)
- Ability to manage changing priorities in a fast-paced environment and ensure deadlines are met.
- Team player, ability to quickly establish strong working relationships and interaction with field personnel and supervision, engineers, suppliers and project management personnel.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times.
- Proven track record of successful disputes and claims resolution.
- Demonstrated experience on Canadian projects and construction contracts.