This role will lead our Client’s technical accounting and derivatives accounting group. This role is key in reviewing hydrocarbon deals for accounting treatment, reviewing supply, trading, and logistics deals for lease accounting and other accounting implications, overseeing the month end derivatives close, interfacing with the Risk group on valuation issues, and providing both internal and external reporting related to derivatives.
- Review monthly closing activities for derivatives, including the approval of journal entries, reconciliations, and derivatives reporting and commentary.
- Prepare/review quarterly disclosures for derivatives and fair value under both IFRS and US GAAP.
- Adhere to corporate policies, IFRS, US GAAP and predefined SOX controls to ensure financials are accurate and complete.
- Ensure new transactions/business activities are properly accounted for and integrated in the accounting close process.
- Prepare whitepapers to document significant accounting conclusions.
- Update accounting policies as necessary to reflect changes to accounting rules and guidelines.
- Perform contract assessments, including writing any required whitepapers, within the supply, trading, and logistics business, including determining whether a contract contains a lease or whether a contract is a derivative.
- Will need to have a good understanding of a variety of commodities in a variety of markets.
- Will be a subject matter specialist for accounting for trading activities and derivatives.
Required Experience and Basic Qualifications
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and IFRS, with specific expertise in derivatives and fair value
- CPA or Qualified Chartered Accountant
- Highly flexible and able to work under tight deadlines
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Big 4 Experience preferred
- Relevant industry (refining and trading) preferred
- Experience with Hedge Accounting under IFRS or US GAAP is a bonus
- 10-15 years relevant experience