Job DescriptionMANAGER OF COST ESTIMATING
Reports to: Director of Power Plant Engineering
Directs and oversees all aspects of company’s estimating activities. Develops policies and procedures related to cost data collection, analysis, and the estimation process, and has an essential role in the bid and proposal process. Coordinates staff to ensure bids are supported with timely and accurate estimates. Will personally develop estimates for large and complex projects. Verifies bids to be accurate and pricing documents are completed correctly.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Timely and accurate performance of cost estimates.
- Plan for resources needed to complete estimating duties.
- Train estimators, participate in performance reviews, and assist in their career development,
- Conduct pre-estimate meetings with project managers and business line management to plan bid strategy.
- Manage and prepare detailed estimates in accordance with the scope of work, analyzing bills of material; determining manpower, equipment requirements, material items and subcontractors.
- Ensure proposals meet company financial goals and project contractual requirements.
- Interface with Projects, Sales, Business Development, Engineering, Procurement, Quality Assurance, Field Operations, and Legal to clarify customer requirements in order to tailor design and quote to specific needs.
- Assist in obtaining quotes from material suppliers, equipment vendors, and subcontractors.
- Solicit review and input from all supporting groups.
- Conduct review meetings with senior management, project managers, and/or business line management to finalize bids, markups, and strategies.
- Develop and maintain bid backup documentation including detailed basis of estimates.
- Prepare revisions to cost estimates. Develop and continuously improve systems essential in the collection and analysis of costs as well as processing and cataloging of bids.
- Support Engineering and Projects for cost effectiveness and value engineering studies.
Prepare and analyze project comparisons of quantities, pricing, and scope.
- Maintains an open line of communication with project managers and sales managers in order to ensure a quotation is both economical and meets the technical requirements of the project.
- Perform conceptual estimates at times when detailed design information is not yet available.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures, reporting all unsafe activities to management and/or Human Resources.
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Contribute to building a positive team spirit.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of employees.
- Protect confidential information by not communicating, disclosing, or using for benefit of 3rd parties.
- Maintain the highest degree of honesty and integrity at all times.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EDUCATION
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree (BS) in Engineering from a four-year college or university; and 7 to 10 years of experience in estimating large projects and a least 5 years as a lead or manager of estimation in a power generation environment. International business experience desirable.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Computer Skills: Knowledge of database, project management, spreadsheet and word processing software, electronic mail, graphics, technical diagrams, flow charts, etc.
- Travel Requirements: Ability to travel up to 40% both domestically and internationally.