Employee Type: Permanent / Full-Time
Location: Houston, TX
NES Global Talent is a leading global technical recruitment company providing professional contract and permanent staff to a diverse world-wide client base within the oil & gas industry. Our client, a leading Chemicals Manufacturer, has a permanent opportunity for a HSE Manager, Projects to be based in the Houston, TX area to support high value petrochemical projects in the Gulf Coast.
The HSE Manager is responsible for the implementation and ongoing supervision of all applicable and relevant HSE, site induction, and ongoing training programs as well as ensuring the compliance with all pertinent OSHA and regulations. The incumbent works seamlessly with all HSE Managers for the delivery of the SHE Management Plan Strategy and SHE EPC Execution Program. Given that this is a project role, it can be expected that the role will change and evolve during the various stages of the project.
- Support and actively promote a culture of safety and environmental awareness within the project team – both for Project Management Team (PMT) personnel and contractor personnel – with the objective of “Zero harm to people and assets and Zero environmental incidents.”
- Accountable for PMT SHE function pre-project execution support to include hazard analysis, task planning and the implementation of industry recognized SHE work practices and protocols deliverables.
- Support the owner with development of a SHE Management Program that clearly defines a legally driven and statutory compliant framework of ownership and accountability across all functions.
- PMT subject matter expert ensuring company’s interests are fully protected in the development of SHE policies, programs, strategies and planning while providing technical guidance and direction to PMT SHE professionals.
- Provide direct support to owner and Principal contractor and Sub contractors with SHE Management and risk assessments, to include Root Cause Analysis (RCA), field and program audits and SHE inspections as well as employee/customer training.
- Provide guidance and oversight to contractors and sub-contractors in the development of a comprehensive suite of SHE policies, health and safety plans and procedures that adopt and incorporate industry recognized SHE best-practices promoting concern for employee well-being that incorporate management commitment, participation and intervention.
- Provide technical support and guidance to owner and contractor in the development of loss control prevention programs, reporting, and investigation and follow up corrective action requirements relative to all incidents, injuries or environmental occurrences on The Site.
- Ensure updating, approval and adherence to the Site-Specific SHE Management Plan.
- Review and approve SHE plans, policies, procedures and method statements and risk assessments for all tasks and activities from construction contractor and sub-contractors throughout the project life-cycle.
- Ensure compliance with Contractor Safety Pre-Qualification and Selection process.
- Support effective communication and synergy with PMT, Engineering Contractors, other contractors and The Site to support the achievement of the project SHE objectives.
- Develop and implement the required PMT SHE deliverables.
- Hire, train and direct a PMT SHE staff for successful construction execution oversight.
- Administer SHE Program reports to reflect performance based on injury / illness metrics to include leading and lagging indicator data.
- Assist in the establishment of clear responsibility and accountability for site implementation of the Site SHE Management Plan requirements and manage the effectiveness of the Plan.
- Assist in the development and implementation of an industry recognized behavior-based safety (BBS) program that reinforces safe work practices for all Project team members.
- Bachelor Degree in Environmental Engineering, Occupational Safety & Health, Chemical Engineering, or related field
- A minimum 10 years’ experience in engineering and the petrochemical, chemical refinery, chemical industry, or related industry
- 5+ years HSE Manager for petrochemical, chemical, or refining projects in excess of $500MM
- Owner/ Operator experience required
- Cradle-to-grave, full cycle EPC project experience desirable
- Safety: Knowledge of technical practices and programs used in the reduction or elimination of workplace hazards. This includes knowledge of worker safety regulations as they relate to manufacturing.
- Environmental Management System Design: Ability to design, develop and implement effective environmental management systems. This includes the ability to coach Associates how to effectively assess environmental management system designs and deployment.
- Environmental and Health & Safety Regulations: Knowledge of local, state and federal environmental, health and safety regulations; how to access resources (e.g., regulatory agencies, consulting firms, web-based information); and evaluate resources as applicable to chemical manufacturing facilities.
- Industrial Hygiene: Knowledge of procedures used to anticipate, recognize, evaluate and control physical, chemical, biological and ergonomic hazards.
- Process Safety: Solid understanding of Process Safety Management requirements and processes
- Advanced Regulatory Affairs: Regulatory Familiarization, Compliance and Enforcement as it relates to: EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), TCEQ (Texas Commission on Environmental Quality), USACE (United States Army Corps of Engineers), OSHA, ADA (America Disabilities Act), BCHD (Brazoria County Health Department), HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996), DOT (Department Of Transportation), WCAB (Worker's Compensation Appeals Board), DTSC (Department of Toxic Substances Control)
- Other regulatory entities related to the areas of responsibility