PERMIT / SIMOPS COORDINATOR
Reporting directly to the Project EH&S Manager, the role of the Permit / SIMOPS Co-coordinator, is to ensure a seamless work process is developed and maintained for managing safe work permits, SIMOPS, work request and LOTO. The scope extends to all areas of the IGCC project site locations.
- Develop a robust work process that manages safe work permits, SIMOPS, work requests and LOTO.
- Plan the location of SWP satellite offices throughout the IGCC.
- Establish a process for oversight throughout all work areas to assess SWP / LOTO compliance.
- Follow up of corrective action plans resulting from inspections and audits.
Directly Responsible for;
- Reporting to the IGCC EH&S manager and having overall responsibility for implementing a SWP, SIMOPS, LOTO philosophy.
- Ensure solid integration of refinery and city wide SWP / SIMOPS / LOTO strategies
- Co-ordinate all SWP, SIMOPS, LOTO issues throughout his team of Permit Coordinators.
- Train and appoint deputies to fulfil his role in his absence
- Administer and participate in the EH&S audit and inspection schemes being applied.
- Establish and maintain effective communications and coordination between Air Products, contractors and all relevant stakeholders on site in relation to SWP, SIMOPS and LOTO
- Audit and monitor all JV / Contractor SWP, SIMOPS, LOTO, advise the Discipline Supervisors, Field Superintendents and Site Manager of any shortfalls and provide specialist support.
- Contribute at weekly EH&S meetings with any learnings around SWP, LOTO or SIMOPS.
- Contribute to the weekly and monthly overall EHS report
- Provide advice and guidance to the site team on all aspects of SIMOPS, SWP and LOTO planning
- Support the project KPIs as necessary
- Help to ensure the General Contractors have adequate resources to execute against their approved emergency response plans
- Actively participating in and leading safety promotion events, competitions, established programs
- Play an active role in the Safety Leadership Team
- Maintaining a strong and effective professional working relationship with the JV Project Management, Partners, interfacing EPC’s, sub-contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Maintaining an open and effective communication channel with the EH&S manager when in kingdom and out of kingdom
- When required or requested, represent the JV in meetings with the Partners, interfacing EPC’s, sub-contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Establish a daily coordination meeting at each separate location that captures details on work requests, allowing SIMOPS clashes to be identified and managed.
- Assist the EH&S Manager in ensuring the Project Safety and SIMOPS plans are implemented.
- Identifying and addressing risks and issues, escalating to the EH&S Manager, Commissioning Manager and Project Manager as required.
- Providing leadership to ensure prompt prioritization and coordination of all unforeseen issues at the site, escalating to the EH&S Manager, Commissioning Manager and Project Manager.
- Write audit reports as necessary and roll out a monthly report
- Help in ensuring the EH&S plan is updated on a regular basis in conjunction with the site management team.
- Support the implementation of the safety incentive program
- Give input to ensure the accurate completion of the safety section of the weekly report
- Support the implementation and ongoing development of Air Products safety program elements, APT (Accident Predictive Technique) SOS, (Safety Outreach System) Safety License, Incentives, Best Known Methods (BKM)
- Provide advice and support to the Commissioning teams on the process and procedures to be put in place to control the SWP system, SIMOPS and LOTO at site.
- Ensure full compliance with ALL associated Safe Work permits standards.
- Oversee the Issue of permits for commissioning / start up activities
- Coordinate training requirements for Permit Issuers and Receivers including LOTO.
- Ensure a log of all ‘live’ permits is maintained.
- Undertake regular HSE tours to ensure familiarity with the ongoing work activities at site.
- Ensure all permits are plotted on a site layout to minimise concurrent / SIMOPS work activities.
- Ensure ALL Confined Spaces are clearly marked on plot plans maintained in the permit office
- Establish procedures for controlling lock boxes inside the SWP offices, ensuring necessary approvals are obtained to release keys, and follow up to ensure all keys are returned that shift.
- Maintain a “live” register of all isolations (permit and non-permit) on site, when they are applied and removed.
- Issue LOTO equipment and apply permit LOTO where necessary.
- Issue and record the issue of personal locks to permit receivers.
- Review SWP’s, method statements and risk assessments prepared by the Contractor
- Ensure work requests are submitted 24 hours in advance with all supporting documentation (RAMS, P&ID/SLD mark-up, isolation plan, etc.)
- Review Work Requests submitted for work planned for the following day and review for SIMOPs clashes. Work with the Construction and Commissioning teams to identify priority work.
- Issue “SIMOPs Notifications” by email to the relevant Commissioning teams after the daily coordination meeting, notifying of authorised and non-authorised work.
- Ensure up-to-date lists in the permit office of trained personnel for permit issuers, receivers, LOTO authorised, confined space entrants are maintained.
- Maintain an email distribution list for ALL stakeholders and distribute site safety notifications from the commissioning team to stakeholders.
- Ensure that the site confined space and personal atmospheric monitors are signed out and in when required for different permits, and to keep these monitors charged and ready to be issued.
Essential Experience and Skills
- Diploma or Degree in a Technical Subject.
- Safety Diploma or equivalent.
- Strong commissioning / operations safety management experience of large multi discipline sites
- Team Player
- Strong communicator written and oral
- Strong and effective leader and coordinator
- Organised, disciplined, able to perform under pressure and manage multiple priorities and parallel tasks
- Strong Microsoft software skills, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Good presentation skills
- Strong report writing skills
- Middle East project experience
- Experience of working on camp-based sites in remote Middle East locations
- Experience of working in multicultural project teams
- Experience of working through commissioning and start-up phases
- 15+ years of HSE experience in an industrial environment with at least 5 years in a petrochemical/oil & gas company is considered essential
- Thorough knowledge of international standards for management of Health, Safety, Environment and Risk such as OSHA , NFPA, ISO 14001 and ISO 45001
- Strong technical competence in Project and Commissioning Safety
- Ability to work in a multifaceted / multinational organizational matrix with a variety of working relationships
- Results oriented. Must be able to understand impact of decisions/changes on project HSE risks and overall project success
- Works autonomously, reliably communicating upwards when appropriate.
- Energy, drive and determination to lead the team to deliver the required results.
- Ability to build up a high-performance emergency management team.
Desired Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Good knowledge of Government legislation, international regulations and HSE best practice.
- Saudi Aramco PTW / LOTO experience.
- Industrial gas commissioning / Operations experience.
- Experience of executing Mega Projects.
- Experience of working on camp-based construction sites in remote Middle East locations.
- Driving licence.