Industrial Hygiene Manager
Job Description and Roles and Responsibilities
Location: Jazan Project Site, KSA – Camp Accommodation, 8 on / 2 off rotation pattern
Reporting directly to the Project EH&S Manager, the role of the IH Manager, is to ensure a robust program is developed to manage Industrial Hygiene throughout all work locations.
- Implement and maintain an IH program.
- Monitoring and reporting IH programs.
- Oversee sampling and ensure it is done by 3rd parties periodically.
- Coordinate with all stakeholders; resolve any field issues.
- Follow up of corrective action plans resulting from incidents
Directly Responsible for;
- Conducts health program in IGCC organization to recognize, eliminate, and control occupational health hazards and diseases: evaluate and analyses the results of environmental samples of dust, gases, vapors, and other potentially toxic materials;
- Investigates adequacy of ventilation, exhaust equipment, lighting, and other conditions which may affect employee health, comfort, or efficiency;
- Conducts evaluations of exposure to ionizing and nonionizing radiation and to noise, and recommends measures to ensure maximum employee protection;
- Prepare Respiratory Protection Program for work in the hazardous enclosures;
- Prepares reports including observations, analysis of contaminants, and recommendations for control and correction of hazards;
- Administer and participate in the EH&S audit and inspection schemes being applied.
- Reporting to the IGCC EH&S manager and having overall responsibility for Industrial Hygiene related activities;
- Ensure solid Industrial Hygiene program for all the areas within IGCC;
- Provide industrial hygiene interpretation to Commissioning personnel and leadership teams on OHS regulatory or project requirements;
- Assist in the development and implementation of Industrial Hygiene Plan training programs.
- Become Project’s Subject Matter Expert (SME) for current OHS Regulations, as it relates to Industrial Hygiene, and interpretation of JV’s Industrial Hygiene requirements;
- Identify and maintain hazardous material register for the Project;
- Train and appoint deputies to fulfil his role in his absence
- Audit and monitor IH programs, advise the Discipline Supervisors, Field Superintendents and Site Manager of any shortfalls and provide specialist support.
- Instigate a program of inspections for all work areas to ensure compliance with regard to IH principles
- Lead an IH team meeting in conjunction with the EH&S Manager.
- Record and maintain accurate records of all IH programs
- Appoint and monitor 3rd party IH agencies and record their performance
- Contribute to the weekly and monthly overall EHS report
- Provide advice and guidance to the site team on all aspects of IH
- Support the project KPIs as necessary
- Become actively involved in on site incident investigation management.
- Actively participating in and leading safety promotion events, competitions, established programs
- Play an active role on the Safety Leadership Team
- Maintaining a strong and effective professional working relationship with the AP Project Management, Client, interfacing EPC’s, sub-contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Maintaining an open and effective communication channel with the EH&S manager when in kingdom and out of kingdom
- When required or requested, represent the Company in meetings with the JV Partners, interfacing EPC’s, sub-contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Identifying and addressing risks and issues, escalating to the EH&S Manager, Commissioning Manager and Project Manager as required.
- Providing leadership to ensure prompt prioritization and coordination of all unforeseen issues at the site, escalating to the EH&S Manager, Commissioning Manager and Project Manager.
- Write audit reports as necessary and roll out a monthly report
- Help in ensuring the IH plan is updated on a regular basis in conjunction with the site management team.
- Responsible for completing annual qualitative and quantitative exposure risk assessments for chemicals, noise, radiation, ergonomics and other IH related items.
- Conducts investigations of working conditions for the prevention of occupational disease and industrial health hazards, with specific reference to toxic substances, noise, and harmful physical agents.
- Developing and implementing sampling strategy measuring airborne concentrations of dust, gases, and mists; uses air sampling instruments and collection devices collecting samples of materials to detect and evaluate employee exposure including determining the effectiveness of engineering and administrative controls. (Provides recommendations to reduce/eliminate exposures).
- Perform assessments of new products and processes and provides leadership in identifying hazards and implementing controls.
- Responsibilities will include development and implementation of several industrial hygiene programs assuring these comply with OSHA/OSHA regulations. Develops workplace and individual exposure sampling strategies along with developing exposure control strategies;Investigates indoor air quality situations and proposed and implement solutions.Assessing risks, documenting field observations, and creating various IH reports, policies, training and communication and related correspondence;Successfully uses recognized system analysis tools to perform risk assessments, inspections, investigations, program auditing that result in identifying value-added technically feasible improvements;Determines effectiveness of engineering control methods and makes recommendations regarding location, design, structure, operations, and maintenance of contaminant and physical agent control systems.
Essential Experience and Skills
- Knowledge of occupational health standards, codes, and regulations.
- Knowledge of methods, procedures, and techniques used in collecting and testing samples such as dusts, mists, fumes, vapors, noise, non-ionizing radiation, cold, and heat stress and biological agents.
- Knowledge of toxicological effects of occupational hazards.
- Skill in analyzing and evaluating a wide variety of technical data, test results, reports, and plans.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of a variety of monitoring and testing equipment.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant HSE/IH qualification.
- Strong commissioning safety management experience of large multi discipline sites
- Team Player
- Strong communicator written and oral
- Strong and effective leader and coordinator
- Organized, disciplined, able to perform under pressure and manage multiple priorities and parallel tasks
- Strong Microsoft software skills, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Good presentation skills
- Strong report writing skills
- Middle East project experience
- Experience of working on camp-based sites in remote Middle East locations
- Experience of working in multicultural project teams
- Experience of working through commissioning and start-up phases
- 10+ years of IH implementation experience in an industrial environment with at least 5 years in a petrochemical/oil & gas company is considered essential
- Thorough knowledge of international standards for management of Health, Safety, Environment and Risk such as OSHA, NFPA, ISO 14001 and ISO 45001
- Strong technical competence in IH principles
- Strong management skills proven in large EPC contractor’s offices
- Ability to work in a multifaceted / multinational organizational matrix with a variety of working relationships
- Results oriented. Must be able to understand impact of decisions/changes on project HSE risks and overall project success
- Works autonomously, reliably communicating upwards when appropriate.
- Strong communicator, written and oral in English language.
- Strong planning, coordination and risk management skills.
- Energy, drive and determination to lead the team to deliver the required results.
Desired Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Good knowledge of Government legislation, international regulations and HSE best practice.
- Saudi Aramco Emergency Response experience.
- Industrial gas commissioning / Operations experience.
- Experience of executing Mega Projects.
- Driving Licence.