EH&S Deputy Manager
ocation: Jazan Project Site, KSA – Camp Accommodation, 8 on / 2 off rotation pattern
- Reporting directly to the Project EH&S Manager, the role of the Deputy EH&S Manager is to ensure the safe and successful execution of the commissioning and start-up phases of the project
Directly Responsible for;
- Supporting EH&S Manager to develop a robust safety program at ALL Project locations
- Managing a team of dedicated safety professionals within their respective areas
- Ensuring contractor safety information is reviewed, and commented on as necessary prior to execution of works
- Ensure the General Contractor(s) have adequate resources to execute against their safety plans
- Highlight deficiencies in general contractor safety program and escalate as appropriate through the Site Manager and Commissioning manager(s)
- Ensure the general contractors follow and adhere to their own safety programs as well as those of the JV
- When required and requested take part in contractor and sub-contractor kick off meetings
- Monitor the rotation schedules of their team and ensure adequate cover at all times
- Support the project welfare program
- Ensuring the project Medical team are informed and aware of how the site is developing and support them as needed
- Help deliver proprietary JV training programs and other training programs as necessary when required
- Ensuring safety meetings are conducted and recorded as required (internal/external).
- Ensuring specific risk assessments and SWIMS for all work activities are reviewed and commented on where necessary, prior to commencement of works.
- Ensuring contractor safety programs and safe work practices are reviewed and monitored.
- Ensuring Project personnel are directed in matters affecting emerging risks
- Ensuring HSE information/expertise is provided to the site team when solicited and when not to ensure compliance to JV standards and local laws
- Lead incident / accident investigations in line with the established site procedures for same and ensuring accurate content and corrective action follow up
- Ensure all incidents are entered into the AP proprietary incident tracking system, Event Management
- Recommending any necessary courses of action on contractor safety performance to the overall site safety manager and the commissioning managers
- Help monitor the site safety induction program and ensure it is updated as the site evolves
- Demonstrating a strong leadership commitment throughout the project
- Actively participating in and leading safety promotion events, competitions, established programs
- Play an active role on the Safety Leadership Team
- Inspecting and auditing the IGCC site locations on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis in line with established systems in use on the project
- Leading and participating in meetings involving contractor safety problems/incidents.
- The safe execution of site commissioning works in their areas in accordance with the project schedule, cost and other KPIs
- Ensuring contractors and subcontractors’ site safety supervisors are managed and coordinated within their respective areas
- Support the environmental manager in executing against the environmental management program and the waste management plan
- Maintaining a strong and effective professional working relationship with the AP Project Management, Client, interfacing EPC’s, sub-contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Maintaining an open and effective communication channel with the overall safety manager when in kingdom and out of kingdom
- When required or requested, represent the Company in meetings with the Client, interfacing EPC’s, sub-contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Identifying and addressing risks and issues, escalating to the Site Manager, Commissioning Manager and Project Managers as required.
- Providing leadership to ensure prompt prioritization and coordination of all unforeseen issues at the site, escalating to the Site Manager, Commissioning Manager and Project Managers as required.
- Assist in writing of regular progress and safety reports as required.
- Help in ensuring the EH&S plan is updated on a regular basis in conjunction with the site management team.
- Support the implementation of the safety incentive program
- Be part of leading the weekly safety meeting in conjunction with the Commissioning Managers.
- Give input to ensure the accurate completion of the safety section of the weekly report
- Support the implementation and ongoing development of Air Products safety program elements, APT (Accident Predictive Technique) SOS, (Safety Outreach System) Safety License, Incentives, Best Known Methods (BKM).
Essential Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline.
- NEBOSH diploma or equivalent certification.
- Full membership of IOSH / CSP
- Strong construction and commissioning safety management experience of large multi discipline sites
- Team Player
- Strong communicator written and oral
- Strong and effective leader and coordinator
- Organised, disciplined, able to perform under pressure and manage multiple priorities and parallel tasks
- Strong Microsoft software skills, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Good presentation skills
- Strong report writing skills
- Middle East project experience
- Experience of working on camp-based Project sites in remote Middle East locations
- Experience of working in multicultural project teams
- Experience of managing commissioning on behalf of the client rather than through an EPC
- 10+ years of HSE experience in an industrial environment with at least 5 years in a petrochemical/oil & gas company is considered essential
- Thorough knowledge of international standards for management of Health, Safety, Environment and Risk such as OSHA, NFPA, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18000
- Strong technical competence in Project and Commissioning Safety
- Strong management skills proven in large EPC contractor’s offices
- Ability to work in a multifaceted / multinational organizational matrix with a variety of working relationships
- Results oriented. Must be able to understand impact of decisions/changes on project HSE risks and overall project success
- Works autonomously, reliably communicating upwards when appropriate.
- Strong communicator, written and oral in English language.
- Strong planning, coordination and risk management skills.
- Energy, drive and determination to lead the team to deliver the required results.
- Ability to build up high performance safety management team.
Desired Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Saudi Aramco experience.
- Good knowledge of Government legislation, international regulations and HSE best practice.
- Industrial gas commissioning experience.
- Experience of commissioning multiple repeat train projects.