ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGER/ ENGINEER
Reporting directly to the Project EH&S Manager, the role of the environmental manager/engineer is to ensure the aims of the environmental management programs are met and that all efforts are made to ensure the protection of the environment throughout the commissioning and Start-up phases of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Directly Responsible for;
- Ensuring the project is operating in line with the law of the land and all applicable procedures
- Develop an environmental legal register and establish a systematic oversight program to assure compliance with all applicable environmental laws
- Ensuring JV / Contractor environmental information is reviewed, and commented on as necessary prior to execution of works
- Develop an environmental plan that details are emissions monitoring in accordance with legal and project requirements
- Ensure management have provided adequate resources to execute against the environmental plan
- Highlight deficiencies in within JV / general contractor programs and escalate as appropriate through the EH&S Manager and Commissioning manager(s)
- Ensure the Project maintain proper waste manifests and duty of care documents
- Ensure the Project (JV / Contractor) disposes of all waste in a legal and responsible way via project approved waste treatment facilities
- Promote an environmental recycling program throughout all work areas
- When required and requested take part in contractor kick off meetings
- Develop and deliver environmental training as required
- Ensuring meetings are conducted and recorded as required (internal/external).
- Ensuring specific environmental risk assessments and method statements for all work activities are reviewed and commented on where necessary, prior to commencement of works.
- Ensuring all JV works, construction, commissioning and start-up programs and work practices are reviewed, and monitored for environmental implications as necessary
- Ensuring the Project (JV / Contractors) are directed in matters affecting emerging environmental risks
- Ensuring Environmental information/expertise is provided to the site team when solicited and when not to ensure compliance to JV standards (Air Products / Aramco / ACWA Power) and local laws
- Support incident / accident investigations in line with the established site procedures for same and ensuring accurate content and corrective action follow up
- Ensure all incidents are entered into the AP proprietary incident tracking system, Event Management for environmental matters
- Recommending any necessary courses of action on contractor environmental performance to the overall site EH&S manager and the Commissioning manager(s)
- Help monitor the site safety induction program and ensure it is updated as the site evolves
- Demonstrating a strong leadership commitment throughout the project
- Actively participating in and leading safety promotion events, competitions, established programs
- Play an active role on the Safety Leadership Team
- Undertaking environmental Inspections and audits of construction, commissioning and start-up work activities on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis in line with established systems in use on the project
- Create and distribute a monthly environmental audit report to deliver project status reports and help drive continuous improvement
- Develop and track leading and lagging environmental objectives and targets
- Leading and participating in meetings involving JV EH&S problems/incidents.
- Maintaining a strong and effective professional working relationship with the JV Management, Client, interfacing EPC’s, sub-contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Maintaining an open and effective communication channel with the EH&S Manager when in kingdom and out of kingdom
- When required or requested, represent the Company in meetings with the Client, interfacing EPC’s, sub-contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Assist the EH&S Manager in ensuring the Project EH&S and Environmental plans are implemented.
- Identifying and addressing risks and issues, escalating to the EH&S Manager, Commissioning Manager and both onsite and off-site Project Managers as required.
- Assist in writing of regular reports as required.
- Help in ensuring the EH&S plan is updated on a regular basis in conjunction with the site management team.
- Support the implementation of the EH&S incentive program
- Be part of leading the weekly safety meeting in conjunction with the Construction Site Manager.
- Give input to ensure the accurate completion of the relevant section of the weekly report
- Support the implementation and ongoing development of Air Products safety program elements, APT (Accident Predictive Technique) SOS, (Safety Outreach System) Safety License, Incentives, Best Known Methods (BKM)
Essential Experience and Skills
- Engineering degree
- Environmental diploma or equivalent
- Membership of IEMA
- 15+ years’ experience of large Industrial Gas / Oil & gas Projects
- Strong environmental management experience of large multi discipline sites during commissioning and start-up phases
- Team Player
- Strong communicator written and oral
- Strong and effective leader and coordinator
- Organised, disciplined, able to perform under pressure and manage multiple priorities and parallel tasks
- Experience of emissions monitoring
- Strong Microsoft software skills, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Good presentation skills
- Strong report writing skills
- Middle East project experience
- Experience of working in multicultural project teams
- Experience of managing construction on behalf of the client rather than through an EPC
- Thorough knowledge of international standards for management of Health, Safety, Environment and Risk such as OSHA, NFPA, ISO 14001 and ISO45001
- Strong management skills proven in large EPC contractor’s offices
- Ability to work in a multifaceted / multinational organizational matrix with a variety of working relationships
- Results oriented. Must be able to understand impact of decisions/changes on project HSE risks and overall project success
- Works autonomously, reliably communicating upwards when appropriate.
- Strong planning, coordination and risk management skills.
- Energy, drive and determination to lead the team to deliver the required results.
- Ability to build up high performance safety management team.
Desired Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Saudi Aramco experience.
- Industrial gas construction experience.
- Experience of remote work locations
- International driving licence