Project Turnover Manager, Jazan, Saudi Arabia
Role: In conjunction with the Project Quality Manager, lead the disciplined turnover of complex, gasification, power, process, and utilities systems at a soon-to-be mechanically complete mega IGCC project.
Reporting Manager Title: Project Quality Control Manager, with functional reporting to the Start-up & Commissioning Director
Project Stakeholders: Multiple parties are involved to include three different owners bound by a Joint Venture (JV) arrangement, multiple EPC contractors & vendors (over 50), a PMC contractor, and external stakeholders and government entities.
Project Objectives: Support the safe and successful start-up and commissioning of the IGCC project and hand it over to operations.
Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities:
- Execute a planned, documented, and well-managed approach to the turnover of mechanically-completed systems and units to support the start of start-up & commissioning activities.
- Closely liaise with the QC Manager to incorporate the ST program into the Site Quality Manual (SQM).
- Assist the Quality Manager and engineering discipline leads in resolving appropriate requirements for the equipment and project location to be included in the SQM.
- Lead the turnover work per the JV contract terms by eliminating issues and optimizing performance.
- Responsible for participation in preparing and managing the approved Turnover & Commissioning budget.
- Participate in subcontracting plans for pre-commissioning, turnover, start-up/ commissioning, training, testing, and reporting.
- Maintain a system centric integrated turnover & commissioning schedule, reporting costs associated with commissioning labor and equipment, and assisting the Start-up & Commissioning Director and PMC contractor in the development of an Integrated Turnover & Start-up/ Commissioning Plan.
- Attend System Completion meetings and ensure turnover work activities are identified and coordinated within the overall system turnover and construction activities.
- Remain cognizant of the Turnover Waterfall schedule and prioritize personnel and resources accordingly.
- Manage deliverables with Aramco and the EPC contractors and integrate activities with the EPC contractors Engineering, the JV EPC, JV PMC, & JV Start-up/ Commissioning activities.
- Participate in project pre start-up and safety reviews and follow-up for mitigation planning and execution.
- Manage risk, in coordination with the Sr. Project Risk Manager, by reviewing risk on a regular basis and flagging/ identifying significant business risk for JV.
- Understand roles and responsibilities, particularly those of EPC contractors.
- Communicate turnover & commissioning roles and scope for members of design and construction teams; understands the commissioning test plans/protocols, and coordinates and/or attends design, construction and operability reviews.
- Fulfill contract and JV requirements by ensuring that the duties and responsibilities of the contract are clearly defined, documented, and followed by the Project team.
- Prepare turnover & commissioning progress reports to Project Director, Quality Control Manager, Start-up/ Commissioning Director, EPC & PMC Director, and Project Controls Manager.
- Assist QC Manager in the development of written test procedures as well as coordinate, witness, and document startup and functional tests.
- Understand the current capabilities of automation tools and ensuring that they are being utilized to the full benefit of the project.
- Maintain a safe work environment by administering a proactive environmental, health, and safety program oriented towards maintenance activities and zero accidents.
- Continually improve personal technical, commercial, and organizational knowledge and skills.
- Performs other duties as assigned and requested.
- Work closely with the Sr. Project Engineering Manager and the Start-up/ Commissioning Director to understand operational process instructions and ensure the project's safe operating limits are maintained.
- Secure in-depth knowledge of the Site Security Plan and the Site SIMOPS limits to ensure they are well-understood and administered to meet project requirements.
- Ensure all required data is accurately entered into Completions Group folders.
- Ensure the System/Area Turnover Punchlist items are entered in the appropriate database (CoreWorx, Maximo, etc.) for each turnover boundary, ensure the turnover coordinators stay cognizant of the completion dates, and drive the items to closure.
- Identify all open Non-Conformances & Discrepancies, CR's Risk Releases, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by the Project Director or the QC Manager.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering or Construction Management from a recognized university
- A minimum of 20 years experience in engineering, construction, start-up/ commissioning, and systems turnover leadership roles.
- Experience in checkout and handover of equipment subsystems and systems within a large scale plants- 10+ years experience in large scale projects -10+ years supervisory experience
- Good track record on mega Oil & Gas and/or integrated Gasification projects.
- Culturally-sensitive and possesses excellent written & verbal communication & strong, team interpersonal skills.
- Have a valid driver's license.
- Dedication to HSE with ability to inspire and lead others.
- Strength in leadership, training, mentoring and providing clear work instruction.
- Ability to work under pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knowledge of computer applications, e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Knowledge of engineering and construction systems, methods, and work as well as operations background.
- Advanced knowledge of supervisory functions relating to construction turnover and startup field activities.
- Demonstrated commitment to Environmental, Safety and Health (ES&H) and to a ZERO Accident Safety Program.
- A typical split between office environment, field inspections and field work
- Ability to move throughout all areas of the facility.
- Able to wear all necessary PPE equipment to perform job functions.
- Stand and/or sit continuously and perform job functions for a full shift
- Physically able to walk, stand, bend, stoop, kneel, reach, twist, lift, push, pull, climb, balance, crouch, handle and move items weighing up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
- Visual acuity corrected to perform job functions; Ability to distinguish color to perform job functions.
- Exposure to indoor and outdoor weather conditions - Not necessarily protected from weather and temperature changes; possible exposure to extremely hot, humid, or windy weather conditions.
- Exposure to constant or intermittent sounds of a pitch level sufficient to cause marked distraction.
- Exposure to moving mechanical parts and electrical circuits.
- May be required to enter confined spaces, wear harness, and climb heights.