Job DescriptionSenior Piping Designer
NES are looking for a Senior Piping Designer to join a leading engineering company based in Cannonsburg, PA. This contract role is to develop engineering technology and conceptual designs and to manage project works and staff to meet business requirements.
Performs routine to moderately difficult design assignments which require the application of fundamental design techniques in accordance with company and industry standards and codes.
Previous/current experience leading a group of designers/drafters assigned to a single project or working in a specialized field is highly desirable but not required.
Normally requires a high school graduate with vocational-technical training in basic drafting technology and typically a minimum of five (5+) years related experience (or equivalent working knowledge/experience), or a two-year degree in drafting/design in technology and five (5+) years related experience.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
This is the senior-level design position requiring 10 – 15 years of experience. Incumbent must demonstrate a sound understanding of design concepts with minimal engineering input and a proficiency in utilizing manual and computer-assisted techniques for moderately-difficult design applications.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establishes design criteria for assigned phase of a project requiring the application of basic engineering principles, material properties, and a familiarity with construction, installation, and maintenance procedures.
- Prepares detail and layout drawings and sketches of unusual, complex, or original designs requiring the application of theoretical and practical engineering knowledge. Assignments regularly include determining material needs and performing necessary calculations using accepted formulas and references.
- Reviews manufacturers' or fabricators' prints for conformance with contract specifications. Provides design/drafting personnel with design sketches for preparation of finished design drawings, general layouts, and guidance in refining technical requirements.
- Supports field assignments and may lead field walk downs as required.
- Checks work assigned to lower-level design/drafting personnel.
- Regularly interfaces with other departments, clients, vendors, and project engineers in order to support project production.
- Performs other related tasks in support of project engineer, such as writing procedures and specifications, compiling and computing engineering data, estimating, etc.
- May perform certain administrative tasks, such as determining manpower requirements, establishing drawing schedules, assigning tasks to lower-level design/drafting personnel, etc.
- May provide conceptual input to projects during the planning stages
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of clients, managers, designers and engineers.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts such of basic algebra and geometry.
Occasionally may conduct or participate in a field trip to an operating plant or construction site. This requires normal hearing, the ability to stand, walk, reach, climb and balance, clear close and distance vision, depth perception and the ability to focus. Lifting up to 25 pounds may be required.
Normal work environment will be a business office with moderate noise. Occasionally may visit or be temporarily assigned to work in an operating plant or at a construction site. This may require exposure to outdoor weather conditions, loud noise, work near moving mechanical parts, electrical energy, construction equipment, vibration, fumes, chemicals and airborne particles.