Job DescriptionSenior Protein Biochemist – Cambridge – Permanent
The therapeutic value of biologics has long been recognised and this category of drug is gaining increasing momentum. My client, a leading Biotechnology company in the Cambridge region is currently seeking the expertise of a Senior Protein Biochemist to drive innovation of their proprietary protein platform with respect to therapeutic Bio-Pharmaeutical development. The company is incredibly well funded and as such is experiencing a phase of rapid expansion, with prospective plans to greatly disrupt the peptide drug market!
Senior Protein Biochemist Key Responsibilities:
- Clone, express, purify and characterise lead candidate monomers and formatted proteins for characterisation and stability testing, using a range of different expression platforms (bacterial or mammalian cells)
- Carry out optimisation studies to increase protein production yields using fermenters or shake flasks to transfer for scale up
- Develop protein purification protocols using conventional chromatography resins to purify gram quantities of proteins in-house
- Establish pre-formulation screening studies to identify optimal conditions for protein stability and longer-term storage.
- Develop QC analytic assays for characterising lead proteins (e.g. using HPLC and SPR)
- Develop analytical HPLC based assays (e.g. size exclusion, reverse phase chromatography, IEX) to characterise batch-to-batch variation of in-house produced lead candidates.
- Carry out accelerated stability studies on lead molecules to characterise changes that may occur at the amino acid level (e.g. oxidation, deamidation etc)
- Support the Tech transfer of assays developed in-house to external CROs
Senior Protein Biochemist Key Requirements:
- An MSc/PhD or equivalent in protein biochemistry, protein engineering or molecular biology with significant practical experience of working in a laboratory
- Standard protein production techniques and protein engineering knowledge, including working with a range of protein expression platforms (e.g. bacterial and mammalian)
- Practical knowledge of the AKTA purification platform, Unicorn software and using conventional chromatography resins e.g. HIC, ion exchange, multimodal etc, to build multistage protein purification processes to achieve high recovery and purity yields of product
- Experience with developing a wide range of analytical HPLC based assays for protein characterisation
- Excellent knowledge of a range of methodologies to characterise proteins (e.g. SPR, ELISA, SDSPAGE, Western blot)
- Motivated self-starter who can work collaboratively in a dynamic team environment with a conscientious attitude and enthusiasm
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to interpret complex data
Please call Charles on 01619427163 for more information on rates and applying.