Job DescriptionJob Title: VP Operations
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time
Reports to: President
Location: Houston, TX
NES Global Talent is a leading global technical recruitment company providing professional contract and permanent staff to a diverse world-wide client base within the Oil & Gas Industry. Our client, a leading General Contractor specializing in Construction & Maintenance Services, has a Direct Hire opportunity for a Vice President, Operations to be based in Houston, TX.
The Vice-President/Operations will report to the President and will plan and direct Operations of Company in a manner that ensures approved company objectives are achieved through the effective utilization of human and material resources in the maintenance and construction operations of the company. This position will develop and implement policies and programs to achieve short-term performance goals and long-term growth.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Position requires someone who is comfortable functioning as an “entrepreneurial change agent”, with the capacity to think both strategically and tactically, coupled with the ability to focus on day-to-day issues. Proven experience in building partnerships.
- He/she must have the ability to “think outside the box” from a business development and planning perspective. Must be creative with bold concepts, yet realistic from a cost and schedule perspective. Must be comfortable working in a hands-on, highly engaged organizational environment and demonstrate a high degree of flexibility with a strong bias for action.
- Provide Leadership and a passion to train and develop the next generation of leaders.
- Must be a “team player”. However, must also be comfortable in diplomatically confronting issues and be willing to question the “status quo” (as appropriate) with the intention of bringing people together to achieve a win/win outcome. Must be able to achieve consensus.
- Extensive knowledge of financial operations, marketing, estimating, and employee relations required. Excellent organizational, leadership, communication, and analytical skills a necessity.
- Develops Business relationships: develops and leverages a wide network of relationships that effectively position Company to convert opportunities into new business
- Exceptional leadership skills are mandatory. The personal characteristics of a dynamic, highly motivated, and focused individual with a strong desire to succeed. This executive should have an outgoing, servant-leadership style that will enable him/her to build strong trusting relationships with all levels within Company and outside the company with customer, joint venture partners and sub-contractors.
- Must have a positive attitude and a high energy level.
- Superior communication skills
- Manages work and oversees personnel to ensure that their teams are achieving outstanding results. Communicates the company mission, vision, values, goals, and policies and ensures that their teams are supporting them. Personally sets an example by his/her work ethic and professional conduct and holds their team members accountable for performance.
- Provide leadership and direction in establishing a world-class safety culture.
- Assures the continuity of organization and staff. Motivated to assure the successful completion of present commitments and to provide for growth through:
- Recruiting, selecting, training, directing, retention of and guiding the development of key personnel.
- The appropriate recognition and reward features of the performance appraisal system.
- Drive continued Leadership Development for Company Industrial through an alignment with strategic long-term development initiatives.
- Analyzes performance of company operations and develops methods and plans of operation to maximize profit and return on investment over the long term. Defines and develops long-range goals and reviews achievement of those goals assuring that they are compatible with corporate goals and objectives.
- Approves budget and authorizes budget expenditures. Approves allocations of Company assets such as cash, equipment, and human resources to maintain or achieve maximum performance.
- Provides advice and counsel and management judgment on specific questions and problems related to the operations and goals of Company Industrial thereby serving as a technical advisor on industrial related concerns.
- Participates and approves levels of bidding as to size of project, type of project and profit margin insuring proper risk assessment and capability to perform.
- Provides an organization in structure and staffing, is capable of providing support in the development of concepts, in implementation of policy and plans and in the control of end results.
- Develops and implements strategic plans in harmony with divisional strategy that will achieve desired level of profits and optimum volume consistent with planned growth, continuity, and expansion objectives.
- Pursues excellence in all phases of managing the company’s operations, with constant emphasis on the following:
- Development and maintenance of a favorable image with owners, architects, financial organizations, subcontractors, suppliers, and various publics, to expand the company’s opportunity for new business.
- Contracts – Protecting the company’s interest by careful review of all contracts utilizing the company standard whenever possible.
- Purchasing – Choosing the best vendor and subcontractor at a competitive price and writing purchase orders and subcontracts that are complete and clear in language as to intent and scope of work.
- Innovation – The profitable use of appropriate new construction methods and equipment to facilitate and improve building construction to reduce costs and give added value to the owner.
- Complete in-depth job planning prior to start of work to assure successful completion of the project as related to costs, time schedule and quality of work.
- Maintenance of company safety standards and appropriate regulatory agency standards.
- Works as a team member with the corporate units and other operating VPs and managers for useful coordination and effective direction in making Company Industrial the best in the industry.
- Keeps the President of Company informed of important plans and activities. Seeks advice, counsel and approval on matters of a size that would ultimately affect the success of Company Industrial assuring that they serve the best interest of customers, stockholders and employee-owners.
- Other duties as assigned.
Functional Areas of Responsibility
- Maintenance Management
- Construction Management
- Project Management
- Proposal Preparation
- Contract Compliance
- Quality Assurance/Quality Control
- Leadership Development
- Minimum of 15 to 20 years of progressive experience working directly for an industrial maintenance service company
- P&L Responsibility with annual revenue of $100MM USD or larger and capital construction projects of $50MM USD or larger.
- Advanced knowledge of the Industrial maintenance/construction industry and operations is required.
- Bachelor’s degree required − Electrical, Civil or Mechanical Engineering degree preferred. Certification as a Professional Engineer is desired. (MBA Preferred)
- Be involved in succession planning
- Must be willing to travel approximately 20%-30% of the time.
This is an excellent opportunity to become part of one of the Nation’s leading General Contractors Company. As one of the most diversified construction companies, providing nearly every type of civil, commercial and industrial construction service to a variety of industries. This company is one of the 10 largest general contractors based in the southern half of the U.S. and is consistently ranked in the top 50 of Engineering News Record (ENR) magazine’s Top 400 Contractors. The successful applicant will receive a competitive compensation package as well as short-term and long-term incentives, comprehensive benefits, medical coverage, paid holidays, and more.