Job DescriptionR ole: Lead Downstream Analyst - Technology Futures
Client: O&G Operator
Duration: 12 Month maternity cover, January 2020 Start
Rate: £440/day Ltd Co
Requirements: UK / EU Passport Essential
Business Development, Group Technology (BDGT) has been formed to deliver strategic value to Clients’s existing businesses and to create material options for renewal of the Group from technology solutions and innovative business models, accessed through venturing investments, partnering and licensing, and supported by strategic intelligence.
The Technology Futures team is a key part of BDGT, generating long term strategic insights in the areas of emerging and disruptive technology and energy industry trends, which have the potential to create opportunities and threats for Client. The Technology Futures Lead Downstream Analyst will generate strategic technology insights in support of the Technology Futures team agenda, with a strong focus on Client’s Downstream business. This role will report to the Technology Futures Director, who is accountable for Technology input into Group Strategy and framing how Technology is communicated internally and externally.
The Technology Futures team consists of expert thought leaders and analysts that generate economically and scientifically underpinned strategic insights and understanding that inform the Client Group at the highest level about the opportunities and threats created by Technology in the energy industry. The team influences strategic shifts, new business decisions and step out investments resulting from the insights generated. The Technology Futures Lead Downstream Analyst role will lead delivery of technical work and generation of strategic technology insight in service of this agenda, with a focus on Client’s Downstream business. This work will require input from many stakeholders both inside and outside Client.
- Contribute to a comprehensive review of major emerging and disruptive technologies for the energy sector, with a focus on those technologies impacting Client’s current Downstream business and potential future growth opportunities. Maintain and keep live a holistic view of prioritized technologies. Prioritize the key opportunities/risks for action.
- Lead the assessment of techno-economic and business impact of emerging technologies and likely timeframes to realize the level of opportunity and risk. Work with Downstream business and strategy teams to embrace opportunities and/or mitigate risks in line with the segment’s strategic needs and endorsement.
- For the key emerging technologies, maintain techno-economic information for incorporation into modeling work progressed by other parts of, including Energy Outlook team, mobility model (D2050) and other models which exist within Group Technology.
- Generate technology insights using state of the art crowdsourcing, network processes and tools to engage a diverse demographic and wide set of disciplines inside and outside Client.
- Develop and maintain internal and external networks which facilitate the purpose of the role, forging relationships externally with disruptive technology developers and leading experts to fully understand the potential of a technology – e.g. 3M, McKinsey, IHS, government institutes etc.
- Maintain a view on what the competition and industry are doing in response to prioritized opportunities and threats.
- Contribute to a regional approach to technology insights that generate regular views that inform regional strategy for CLIENT– e.g. Brazil.
- Managing multiple stakeholders on different pieces of parallel work
- Prioritisation of work against tight deadlines
- Working through influence as part of a small team
- Managing a broad technology scope
- Working across new areas of technology and having to rapidly learn
- Communicating complex technology concepts in easyt-to-understand language
- Understanding the role of emerging technologies in the overall energy system and Client’s decarbonisation ambitions.
Degree or equivalent qualification (BSc, BA, BEng) in a technical discipline
- Proven track record of engineering/technology delivery.
- Good relationship/influencing/networking skills.
- The post-holder should be performance oriented, a self-starter, energetic and enthusiastic.
- The ability to handle and synthesise large volumes of information.
- The ability to articulate complex science into clear Client positions, opportunities and reports. Good English writing skills.
- Proven ability to influence and communicate at a senior level within Client.
- Ability to constantly innovate in terms of approach to work, never being satisfied with the status quo and seeking out new methodologies.
- Understanding of CLIENTDownstream business
- Confidence in Microsoft Excel – there are several models currently used regularly in this role which requires the skill. Training will be provided.
- Experience in techno-economic modelling