Work Schedule: 14x7 and 10 hrs/day
Assignment Length: 18 months
Location: Kitimat Start
Date: January, 2020
NES Global Talent is a leading global technical recruitment company providing professional contract and permanent staff to a diverse world-wide client base within the Oil & Gas Industry. Our client is currently seeking an experienced Environmental Waste and Water Specialist who will responsible for developing, implementing and managing the project waste management program, storm water management, providing guidance and direction for characterization, movement, re-use and disposal of hazardous materials, hazardous and non-hazardous waste generated at the Kitimat Project Site, and providing oversight of the project waste management contractor(s).
Purpose & Accountabilities:
- Daily support to operating departments for waste disposal issues
- Develop Waste Management Plan and Storm Water Management Plan for the Project (Terminal A/B, former process areas, and Haul Road)
- Resource for manifesting waste
- Subject Matter Expert for shipment of hazardous and non-hazardous wastes
- Facilitate the waste profile process – Work with disposal companies to ensure all profiles are correct, up-to-date, and well organized.
- Review analytical results and Material Data Sheets to make waste determinations and provide information needed for profiling.
- Sample waste as needed for waste classification and characterization; complete chain of custody; manage sample results with waste profile. Obtain and prepare waste samples for off-site shipment to an approved lab.
- Identify transportation options (barge/rail/truck) for waste and water
- Solicits and oversees bids for off-site recycling, disposal of waste, and assists generators in selecting disposal site
- Conducts audits of forms and systems to ensure federal and provincial environmental requirements are met
- Identify water contaminants and potential onsite/offsite treatment options
- Reviews waste disposal costs and implements cost reduction opportunities.
- Develops and Prepares waste classification reports and is responsible for assuring and delivering required regulatory reporting
- Serves as the primary Environmental focal point for waste disposal and waste transportation contractors at the project site
- Develop/implement a robust storm water/water management plan for site activities
- Ensure that any discharge of storm water is properly classified and tested prior to discharge.
- Assures compliance of water and waste rules, and is the contact point for any regulatory audits of the applicable management programs
- Demonstrates technical environmental skills that are appropriate to the site’s needs
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree - Engineering, Science, or Technical
- Minimum of 10 years of regulatory or environmental experience
- Experience with water and waste environmental programs at project implementation/construction sites (BC experience preferred)
- Experience with environmental compliance programs and tracking and regulatory reporting
- Experience working in tight timelines and time critical environments
- Familiar with reviewing, interpreting and applying regulations to environmental projects (BC experience preferred).
- Familiar with operations and interfaces
- Familiar with working with regulators (BC experience a plus)
- Emergency Response Plan implementation experience
- Provide training to support environmental program areas
- Hazard recognition, safety programs/experience, risk assessment, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Background in water and waste sampling / compliance
- Direct compliance management with water and waste medias
- Refining and / or chemical plant experience, or other relevant project implementation/construction experience providing such environmental and waste management support