An opportunity is now available for Mechanical Commissioning Engineer – Team Lead to support the commissioning and start-up phase.
The duration of the assignment is approximately 24 months with an additional option to roll into a long-term operations assignment.
This is an on-site position in Jazan, Saudi Arabia working 8 weeks on with 2 weeks off.
The incumbent will report to the Commissioning Engineering Manager and will lead 8 to 10 Mechanical Commissioning Engineers dedicated to several operating units: Gasification/Acid Gas Removal/Hydrogen Recovery, Soot Ash Recovery, Sulfur Recovery, and Utilities.
This position is intended to target candidates with field/operations experience in large process plants.
The team supports the safe and efficient leadership, planning, commissioning and start-up of process gas units, including our newly acquired gasification technologies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Mechanical Commissioning Engineer - Team Lead will provide knowledge and experience on various fixed equipment to facilitate successful commissioning of the mechanical assets through the commissioning, start-up and start-up stabilization periods. The incumbents will function as part of thecommissioning team, to bring equipment online in a safe, consistent manner in support of the overall project.
The mechanical equipment assets include a wide array of process plant equipment including: pressure vessels; piping, piping connections, piping support systems, piping insulation; spring hangers; hoses, materials handling equipment; refractory systems; manual valves and specialty piping items; dust suppression systems; fire protection systems; and a wide variety of stationary equipment (filter presses, bag houses, silos, etc.)
Other duties and responsibilities include:
- Plan and prepare mechanical systems for first time start-up as part of the mechanical engineering team.
- Contribute to the creation and/or improvement of mechanical commissioning procedures where required.
- Lead & execute specific commissioning test activities.
- Work alongside other discipline engineers (such as controls, process and inspection) to ensure to facilitate safe and successful commissioning of mechanical equipment.
- Work with the Inspection and Maintenance departments to support vessel, piping, and other fixed equipment repairs. This includes providing technical leadership on assessing code requirements, weld and non-weld repair options, and assessing piping support issues.
- Mentor junior or less experienced engineers.
- Lead by example with regards to following procedures and our highest priority of maintaining personnel safety.
- Adaptability to migrate between equipment from many different suppliers.
- Working knowledge of international pressure vessels and piping design and repair codes and standards.
- Working knowledge of weld repair methods.
- Working knowledge of pipe stress modeling and on-line leak repair methods.
- Have a thorough understanding of basic pre-commissioning requirements, such as lube-flushing, alignment, nozzle loads, instrument checks and be able to communicate your requirements to field technicians.
- Have experience in the equipment noted in the section above.
- Ability to make balanced decisions weighing operability, reliability, capital costs and operating costs.
- Critical thinking skills and problem solving capability
- Effective communicator who will seek out cross-functional technical expertise as required.
- Experience in gasification, Sulfur Recovery Units, Soot and Ash recovery, Power Blocks and experience working in Middle East is beneficial
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- Have a minimum 10 years of experience experience in plant engineering or operating plant engineering with a strong focus on plant operations/startups
- Demonstrated leadership of team exceeding 5 people
Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Building Customer Loyalty
Effectively meeting customer needs; building productive customer relationships; taking responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Clearly and succinctly conveying information and ideas to individuals and groups in a variety of situations; communicating in a focused and compelling way that drives others’ thoughts and actions. Engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Originating action to improve existing conditions and processes; identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas, and implementing solutions.
Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
Contributing to Team Success
Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
Managing Work (Includes Time Management)
Effectively managing one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.