Job DescriptionPROCESS SAFETY ENGINEER
Work Location: Jizan, Saudi Arabia
An opportunity is now available for an experienced Process Safety Engineer to support the Jazan IGCC commissioning and start-up phase. The duration of the assignment is approximately 24 months with an additional option to roll into a long-term operations assignment. This is an on-site position in Jazan, Saudi Arabia working 8 weeks on with 2 weeks off.
The objective of Process Safety is to manage the risk of hazardous consequences due to the loss of primary containment of material or energy from a process. The hazardous consequences considered include serious injury or fatality, asset destruction, loss of corporate reputation, environmental harm or adverse impact on society. Managing Process Safety requires the identification of potential hazards due to loss of primary containment and the implementation of mitigations that reduce either the frequency or severity of the consequence.
The applicant will report to the Process Safety Engineering Manager and will be part of a team of Process Safety Engineers focused on supporting the commissioning and startup activities plus the development and execution of disentanglement projects across the major operating units of the facility, including Gasification/Acid Gas Removal/Hydrogen Recovery, Soot Ash Recovery, Sulfur Recovery, Air Separation and Utilities. Disentanglement projects are those required to segregate the JIGPC assets as a separate operating entity from the Aramco refining assets
This position is intended to target candidates that are highly skilled and experienced process safety practitioners to support these activities, as well as to provide mentoring to less senior Process Safety personnel who may become longer term employees of the JV. The Jazan IGCC team supports the safe and efficient leadership, planning, commissioning and start-up of process gas units, including our newly acquired gasification technologies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This opportunity is for a key member of a process safety team functioning as a part of an overall engineering, commissioning and startup team. Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
Process Hazard Analysis – Lead hazard reviews of process units using HAZOP methodology and risk ranking criteria. Generate recommendation action lists and manage their reconciliation. Update PHA file to represent current status of plant design and operation. PHA types include:
- Project Development Preliminary Hazard Review
- Project Execution Design Hazard Review
- Operating Plant Hazard Review Validation or Revalidation
- Management of Change Hazard Review
Support Commissioning and Startup Activities
- Participate in pre-startup safety review (PSSR) and punch list closure work process
- Perform risk assessment for siting of portable buildings
- Lead PHAs for deviations from design and for proposed changes
- Review fixed locations for ambient gas detection and determine requirements for personal gas detection monitors for field personnel
- Develop, measure and report process safety performance metrics specific to commissioning and start
- Define scope of safety work and develop workhour estimates
- Participate in operability reviews
- Lead and document design or change management PHAs, issue recommendation lists, review and approve recommendation reconciliations, and facilitate DHRV activities
- Perform QRAs and/or consequence modeling as appropriate
- Participate in the planning and execution of the PSSR activities
Establish a work process to identify and report process safety events consistent with API RP 754. Facilitate investigation using root cause analysis methodology and identify effective correct actions.
Perform duties and responsibilities while leading in a master-apprentice relationship to mentor and develop less experienced process safety engineers.
Reconcile process safety standards and procedures from JV partners
Promote the development of an organizational culture where safety is highly valued. Provide process safety education and awareness training.
- Lead by example with regards to following procedures and our highest priority of maintaining personnel safety.
- Possess a strong working knowledge of industry standards and specifications.
- Critical thinking skills and problem solving capability.
- Effective communicator who will seek out cross-functional technical expertise as required.
- Proven experience in conducting Hazard, Operability and Safe to Operate reviews (using HAZOP methodology), including verification and documenting close out of PSSR closeout items
- Proven experience performing dispersion calculations for vents and loss of containment
- Proven experience performing building siting and enclosed space audits
- Previous experience of any of the operating units in the IGCC facility (Gasification, Acid Gas Removal, Hydrogen production, Combined Cycle Power Generation, Utilities or Air Separation) would be beneficial.
- Experience with identification and development of practical solutions for mitigation of process safety risks.
- Proven experience performing quantitative risk assessments using fault tree, layers of protection analysis, common mode failure analysis, human error probability, consequence analysis etc.
- Experience leading incident investigations, including developing corrective actions and categorizing process safety events
- Experience generating a safety integrity level (SIL) assessment to define performance requirements for a safety instrumented function (SIF) such as defined in IEC61511, including documenting the intended risk reduction, process safety time and independence requirements, reviewing and approving the SIL verification of each SIF, and reviewing a validation plan and safety life-cycle mechanical integrity program for each SIF.
- Have an in-depth working knowledge of PHA documentation software such as PHA Works or PHA Pro.
Have a strong knowledge of all phases of a project life cycle, including understanding of process design documents (PFD, P&ID, process and mechanical specifications etc.), change management procedures and development of operating instructions.Experience in process safety valve (relief valve) sizing including evaluation of sizing cases and calculation of hazardous over pressure scenarios.
- BS in Engineering (Chemical Engineering preferred)
- 15+ years in an engineering design or operations technical role with a minimum 5 years of experience in Process Safety Engineering, preferably in large and complex industrial facilities
- Demonstrated experience in being a member of a multi-disclipine team
Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Building Customer Loyalty
Effectively meeting customer needs; building productive customer relationships; taking responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Clearly and succinctly conveying information and ideas to individuals and groups in a variety of situations; communicating in a focused and compelling way that drives others’ thoughts and actions. Engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Originating action to improve existing conditions and processes; identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas, and implementing solutions.
Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
Contributing to Team Success
Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
Managing Work (Includes Time Management)
Effectively managing one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
The work environment characteristics (spending time as needed outside navigating the various operating units in the climate of Saudi Arabia) are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
AIR PRODUCTS VALUES
All Air Products divisions are committed to the effective use of the AP Values. It is important that all employees understand and utilize these values when performing the duties of his/her position.
Quality encompasses all aspects of AP’s business, and every employee shares the responsibility to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformity relating to product, process and the quality system. All employees have an obligation to identify and record any such nonconformity, and through designed channels, initiate and recommend solutions.