Job DescriptionDiscovery Scientist – Cambridge – Permanent
Phage display, a unique biologics pooling technique, has driven a tremendous amount of pipeline therapeutics since its inception and continues to do so. My client, a leading Biotechnology company in the Cambridge region is currently seeking the expertise of a Discovery Scientist to drive innovation of their proprietary platform with respect to therapeutic Bio-Pharmaeutical development. This role is available due to new collaborations announced and as such, the company is experiencing a phase of expansion, even in these unprecedented times.
Discovery Scientist Key Responsibilities:
- Design and perform target antigen quality control and discovery assays
- Biotinylating target proteins and fully characterising the product for functional activity.
- Design and generate random and/or rationally designed DNA display libraries for both naïve and affinity maturation.
- Execute manual or automated phage display panning against protein targets
- Characterize phage derived candidates hits via SPR/BLI (Biacore or Octet), ELISA and cell-based assays.
- Sequence phage candidates and sub-clone candidates into the appropriate protein expression system for small scale production
- Design and execute affinity maturation library build and selections.
- Present work in periodic internal group meetings.
- Maintaining a current and accurate laboratory record (lab notebook) of all activities
- BSc/MSc in a relevant Biological subject eg BioMedical Science, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology etc with 3+ years of follow on experience (OR PhD)
- A high level of lab-based competency in molecular biology, manipulating DNA and creating expression constructs.
- Experience working in a busy laboratory, previous industry experience working with phage, immunoasays and cell culture is preferred
- Library design and construction experience (phage, yeast, ribosome or others)
- Experience of various in vitro display selection strategies
- An individual who is proactive who can work both collaboratively and independently when required.
- Excellent communication, organisational and analytical skills.
This opportunity as Discovery Scientist is available immediately. If successful, you can expect to join an award winning, forward thinking organisation who truly value their employees.
Please call Charles on 01619427163 for more information on rates and applying.