Job DescriptionC, C++ Software Engineer – Permanent – Newcastle upon Tyne
Essential:- C, C++, full development life cycle, embedded firmware development, excellent communication skills. Nice to have:- Visual Studio, Qt Creator, Atmel Studio, Git, BitBucket, JIRA & Confluence
C, C++ Software Engineer to develop software for Q-POC™ platform & internal research platforms, in addition to liaising with my client’s engineering & software partners across the globe to realise the Q-POC™ platform. A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, in a highly collaborative manner. The ideal candidate is someone with a great capacity & desire for taking on new responsibilities & challenges as the company grows.
C, C++ Software Engineer Role & Responsibilities
- The role is primarily concerned with the production of code, encompassing the entire Software Development Lifecycle. Requirements analysis, system design & maintenance duties in addition to writing & debugging code. Will require development of some application level software, in addition to embedded firmware development on devices such as Arduino microcontrollers & ARM microprocessors.
- Working within a team of scientists & engineers developing systems capable of running molecular diagnostics assays for a range of diseases.
- Interact with & ensure excellent communication with the other Groups, primarily the biosensor team & external engineering partners. In particular, effective communication & collaboration with other Engineering Team members will be essential for the delivery of multidisciplinary projects. Such projects are typical of work undertaken & may include some or all of mechanical, electronics & microfluidics aspects, in addition to software & firmware development.
- Development experience in some (or all) of: C, C++, Qt (in particular QML)
- The candidate hired for this role will be an extraordinary developer who has strong technical understanding & the tenacity to drive technical solutions to completion with limited supervision, as well as seeking guidance as & when required.
- Experience with any of the following tools will be beneficial: Visual Studio, Qt Creator, Atmel Studio, Git, BitBucket, JIRA & Confluence
- Experience with embedded software systems & firmware development is strongly desired, as is experience of interfacing software with bespoke hardware. Some basic electronics knowledge would be beneficial.
- Experience within a multidisciplinary R&D environment would be beneficial.
- Development under quality systems using extensive unit testing & code reviews is preferred. Knowledge of ISO13485 (Medical Devices) would be beneficial as would development under agile software practices whilst conforming to a quality system.
- Experience with IVD assay development or developing Life Science instruments or medical devices is desirable.
- Experience building bespoke Linux & hardware driver configurations.
- Experience configuring, administering & maintaining build servers & related toolchains for continuous integration.
- Minimum BEng/BSc (or equivalent) in a Computer Science, Computer Science & Electronics, or Software Engineering degree is highly desirable.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK