As an integral member of the team created to manage the system aspects of the Subsea production systems, the core function of the role Data Communications Engineer role will be to; examine the fundamental communications characteristics of communications devices and both open and proprietary protocols in the context of subsea production control systems in order to predict the performance of the communications system and its implications for the overall control system.
In this role engineers will apply established generic mathematical modelling techniques to system specific configurations; verify, validate, continuously improve and extend those techniques to different areas of the production control system, for newly developed or incorporated devices and for characteristics of the system not currently within the scope of the capabilities; and also assess, select and develop simulation tools to further expand the suite of analysis techniques that can be used for appropriate characterisation of the systems under consideration.
Other key responsibilities will include;
- Review of specifications and extraction of application communication performance requirements
- Advising systems engineer on technical exceptions / clarifications during tenders, FEEDs & studies
- Assist with estimates of effort at bid stage
- Analysis of subsea production control system solutions
- Offer proposals for refinement of subsea production control system solutions via formal design review process
- Plan execution of allocated work-scopes, report current status, and estimate to complete, ensuring all work-scopes are executed correctly within budget, timescale and according to priority.
- Monitor and record expenditure of effort to improve efficiency and estimation processes
- Monitor quality system developments and assess implications for analysis tools and practices
Suitable candidates should have the following qualifications, experience and attributes;
- Knowledge of communication protocols within subsea production controls systems: Ethernet, TCP/IP, Modbus
- Familiarity with OSI seven layer model.
- Knowledge of networking concepts and engineering drawings
- Experience of SPCS (subsea production control systems) in the oil and gas industry and associated standards
- Proven ability in the application and development of mathematical models and in the use of protocol analysers
- Understanding/experience of SAP and Software Version Control
- A systematic and logical approach to problems, demonstrating analytical thinking, an holistic perspective with the ability to adopt a narrow focus
- Knowledge of MatLab and Simulink products, along with general electrical transmission theory, will also be useful
The successful candidates will receive a competitive salary and benefits, plus a strong work/life balance, positive work environment with challenging tasks, and a range of development opportunities.