Job DescriptionDrug Discovery Associate Director – Hertfordshire – Permanent
Small molecule drug discovery has many aspects of research, development and upscale. My client, a leading R&D service company is currently seeking the expertise of a Drug Discovery Associate Director to be leading their established diverse drug R&D service capabilities, focusing on synthetic and medicinal chemistry. The company also has established experts in biology, DMPK, and isotopically labelled metabolism, chemical & pharmaceutical development to clinical development. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated, synthetic chemistry leader to become an integral part of a drug discovery team at an exciting R&D focused company with diverse programs in drug development.
Drug Discovery Associate Director Key Responsibilities:
- Support and drive synthetic chemistry for small molecule drug discovery projects from hit-finding, through lead generation and lead optimization to candidate selection, utilizing in-house resources and jointly with company sites and Clients.
- Provide some wet chemistry support, as appropriate within the functional area.
- In a multidisciplinary environment, solve problems of high complexity for assigned projects and / or synthetic chemistry initiatives.
- Through scientific leadership and collaboration with colleagues, provide clear data analyses, actionable hypotheses and ideas to lead the overall project.
- Present plans, tactics and achievements to external partners and to internal stakeholders including project and senior management.
- Lead development of new technologies or methodologies.
- Contribute to effective team planning and mentor less experienced staff on core functional technical and procedural matters. Line management of a small group scientists.
- A PhD in synthetic chemistry with a minimum of 7 years of experience in a world-class small molecule drug discovery organisation.
- Deep understanding of organic chemistry, new synthetic methodologies and new technologies.
- Evidence of ability to effectively contribute to multi-disciplinary scientific teams.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills in a multidisciplinary, fast paced organisation.
- Experience of leading small teams would be advantageous.
- Understanding of discovery process chemistry would be advantageous.