The successful candidate needs to take a pragmatic approach to facilitating and overseeing the building design process, based on a sound knowledge of North American construction practices. They should demonstrate a strong focus on design-for-construction principles and a comprehensive understanding of construction activity sequencing, and how the required sequencing of the design process needs to occur to ensure a smooth project workflow from engineering design into procurement and construction. The successful candidate will also have work experience in both a design office environment and a construction site environment.
• Comprehend client specifications and design basis requirements, and in doing so, plan and coordinate the execution of multi-disciplinary engineering design activities (architectural, civil, structural, mechanical, electrical and controls) for turn-key industrial building projects.
• Manage project engineering deliverables and their work flows between all design team members – e.g., analysis reports, drawings, 3D models, technical specifications, product data sheets.
• Organize and prioritize the delivery of the engineering design documents within a complex series of project design scope packages to meet multiple time-based deliverables requiring a high level of detail and accuracy.
• Coordination of design teams (Project Engineers, Design Technologist and Drafting Personnel) and various discipline professionals throughout the lifecycle of a design-build project
• Facilitate and lead multi-disciplinary design review meetings.
• Prepare contract documents, specifically technical specifications. • Manage consulting engineering contracts for the project.
• Stay alert for project scope change potential, liaising with the Project Manager to handle these situations when they arise.
• Facilitate a prompt and accurate response to the project site team requests for engineering design support during construction.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Design Technologist Diploma in Civil Engineering, Structural or Architecture;
- 8 years’ experience in a design-build organization, preferably with 2+ years on construction sites;
- Eligible for Professional member registration with the local state/provincial Engineering or Architectural association;
- Proven technical report and presentation skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively in a project team environment where team members are spread across multiple office locations;
- Intermediate knowledge and awareness of International Building Code requirements, with a focus on architectural design (e.g., building use and occupancy classification, accessibility, means of egress, types of construction, building envelope);
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain effective and respectful working relationships with internal and external contacts;
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Office products, including SharePoint;
- Experience with Primavera P6 would be an asset, but is not essential to the role.
- Valid Canadian passport or US Visa, on demand, for site visits.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however only qualified candidates will be contacted.